Key Lime Tree - why no fruit ?

jofus(9b/10a Englewood, Fl)June 26, 2010

I purchased a 4 ft Key Lime tree from a nursery in Homestead, Florida in March, 2009. It was full of small green limes and white flowers. They grew and I had fruit up the ying-yang the rest of the year. Moderate watering, moderate compost applied and moderate to sparce fertilizing ensued everry few months.

The tree is now almost 6 ft tall and looks healthy, but no fruit at all since the last limes dropped last December.

I expected more small fruits in the early part of this year, but none ever appeared. Lots of green leaves all over, some small blotches of yellow on a few leaves. But still no flowers this year, not a sign of any to this day.

What happened ? Could the cold spell we had here in early January, 2010, have affected the tree production ? Do these trees only fruit every other year ? Am perplexed.

Thanks for any feedback.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loufloralcityz9

jofus,

I have noticed very little to nothing for flowers and/or fruit on my different citrus plants. One lemon on my lemon trees, 3 oranges on the orange trees, nothing on my kumquat trees, but my protected little 3 foot tall container citrus is loaded with little fruit. I'm blaming it on the cold we had this winter.

Lou

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 12:57PM
peachpaws

jofus,

Growers push the trees to get them fruiting because that's what people buy. Typically citrus won't fruit consistently until the tree is about seven years old. It is recommended that you remove the occasional fruit from a young tree in order to get it to put it's energy into growth. Patience is called for.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 2:29PM
j-grow

couple of things one is that the abnormal winter definately messed up the lemon and lime fruit set. the other is at least for me in merritt island we are basically in a drought!! my other citrus definately shed a bunch of immature fruit due to lack of water

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Weather permitting?
Has Clearwater/St Pete weather warmed enought to set...
Lydie
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
So, What Do YOU Do About Coons And Possums?
I just sent three of them to that big veggie garden...
brute
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™