Bought blooming Christmas Rose

mlb86November 13, 2011

Yesterday I bought a blooming Helleborus niger selection named Joseph Lemper. It was apparently tissue cultured from a plant raised in Europe. Does anyone have any experience or advice concerning this variety? I have good luck with hybrid Lenten Roses but I have heard that H. niger can be more difficult.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I find the nigers not quite as easy in my own garden (oriental hybrids, foetidus) where my soil is clay based but heavily amended with organic materials over the years, acidic ph. In general, I understand the nigers do best with a humus rich soil (so it retains moisture while draining quickly), dappled shade in warmer summers like your own, and a ph more alkaline or at least neutral. Early on, I was reliably amending the area of nigers and nigercors to keep the ph a little higher, but admit to not doing that consistently more recently - I wonder if that wouldn't make a difference in the performance of my own plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hellebores.org 'Niger'

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 4:46PM
gardengal48

I'd agree with Mor in general re: H. niger but after several years of growing a variety of the HGC hellebores, I've found their nigers are extremely adaptable and pretty darn durable. Not fussy about soils (other than well-draining) very profusely blooming, very erect and far more resistant to botrytis than any other niger I've tried. I don't hesistate to recommend any in this selection of hellebores.....in fact, 'Cinnamon Snow' is rapidly becoming my go-to hellebore for alround good looks and long lasting blooms.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 4:15PM
mlb86

Thanks for all the info morz and gardengal. I plan to plant the Joseph Lemper next week. I am going to add gravel for drainage and egg shells for lime to keep the soil alkaline. I really appreciate your responses.

Bookmark   November 23, 2011 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
White Double
This double Hellebore starts in my garden early, in...
romanpot
hybridizing, pushing pollin
is anyone crossing? i will be in about four weeks. hellebores...
bruce03451
New Transplants
Hi, I recently planted a couple of Hellebores in my...
mavarin
An Abundance of Hellebores
This year I realized I have way too many babies. I...
nanapam02
2-4 yr. old lenten rose seedlings...a friend is gifting to me
I am beyond thrilled...I just recently stumbled upon...
cadillactaste
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™