How can I grow this pear seed?

mistingMay 18, 2009

I live in Fremont, CA. I love eating pears so i decided to grow them. So far, I got a little shoot going. The shoot didn't open the 2 main leaves, but I can see them opening. my question is should I add a little bit of Scott's Stater Fertilizer the my seeds or not? Also, please give me suggestions on what to do.

~Robert

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rj_hythloday(8A VA)

I almost answered yesterday, since no one else has I'll venture a guess. When I was a kid we had a volunteer peach tree, so I know that it can be done. In general seeds contain every thing they need to sustain growth through a certain stage. Usually no fert is needed until after true leaves start to come in. I'd recommend some espoma biotone starter.

What type of mix did you use to start it in?

Many nurseries start trees from a branch to get earlier fruit and true to variety. If you are sure that the pit you used was heirloom it shouldn't be a problem, just something to think about.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 7:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spiced_ham(z5 OH)

I would not fertilize until the first true leaves are well developed. Until that time the plant is growing off of seed nutrients and root development could be affected by the fertilizer.

Your pear is almost certainly from a clone spliced onto a different root stock, and pear trees produce more fruit when fertilized by pollen from a different clone, so your seed is most likely a hybrid that will not produce fruit like what it came out of. But it is still a pear and I never met a pear I didn't like...except those nasty tasteless green anjous from the supermarket.

Bookmark   May 29, 2009 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
Bottle brush seeds
Lady in Spain interested in purchasing bottle brush...
Mary Ellen Lynch - CA
Purple Carrots
I've been looking for some seeds of purple/black carrots...
julie321
black Siam tomato
I am growing a Black Siam Tomato this year and as with...
barbara97801
Rotten spots on my heirloom tomatoes
My Cherokee purple and my Arkansas Traveler's tomatoes...
zzackey
Is liriope an heirloom?
Weird question, I know. But a friend is searching for...
dabbler-wmn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™