HGC Jacob

randy(6-VA)December 28, 2007

Bought quite a few of this H. niger variety this summer in 3" pots. They are blooming already with the clearest white, large, outfacing flowers and very small leaves. Just lovely. If you've had any experience with these please let me know how large they grow. Seems like a great plant to me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

They are a new introduction from Germany through the Yoder hellebore breeding program, so it is unlikely there is much of a track record yet on their performance. In the breeder's patent info, 'Jacob' is noted for being a very early blooming selection of H. niger as well as offering a very compact, mounding growth habit. Size is reported at a 18cm spread and a 33cm height. These plants are all propagated by tissue culture so there should be a great deal of consistancy in bloom and habit.

Similar introductions from the same HGC (Hellebore Gold Collection) breeding program include 'Joshua' and 'Joseph Lemper'. 'Joseph Lemper' may be the most widely available at this time as it is extremely floriferous, producing dozens of flowers by late November or early December in most areas and with very tall, erect flower stems with upward facing flowers.

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 2:38PM
randy(6-VA)

Thanks gardengal. 'Joseph Lemper' sounds great. Do you know a source for this variety? Didn't have much luck Googling.

Bookmark   December 31, 2007 at 8:21AM
gardengal48

These are all still pretty new in this country, so availability maybe not so widespread. I have a local wholesale source for this selection (from which I purchase for my nursery) but you're right, there's not too much mail order activity with this one yet. I did notice that Greer Gardens is offering 'Joseph Lemper', but I'd have to say the price is a bit extravagant. Greer has an excellent reputation, though.

Bookmark   December 31, 2007 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
hybridizing, pushing pollin
is anyone crossing? i will be in about four weeks. hellebores...
bruce03451
Winter Thrillers series, Wedding Ruffles - What type?
I've noticed that there are different categories such...
bveronico
Do Double Hellebores Flowers Droop?
Anyone with experience growing double hellebores? I...
KarenPA_6b
Where can I get unusual hellebore? I want black, dark red, doubl
Hello, Hellebore are probably my favorite plant right...
faerieannette
Feb.. 2-16-14
Just posting a Hellebore photo
susie_60nc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™