Coming soon to a garden near you.......

gardengal48December 13, 2004

...blooming hellebores! It won't be long now - doing some routine clean up this weekend, I discovered flower buds on most of my hellebores already poking above the soil surface. Based on the number of buds showing, it's gonna be a good season. Heavy budding is also taking place on argutifolius, 'Janet Starns', xsternii and various forms of foetidus. Don'tcha just love it when the hellebores bloom?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I do love it. Now if it just were slightly nicer weather so I could get out and enjoy them.

H. foetidus Sienna had been blooming for more than a month, oriental double pinks and pink anemone flowered followed not long after - with more of those plants from that years seedlings just now beginning to send up flower shoots too. A couple of Betty Ranicars are blooming now, Heronswood purple has shoots tall enough they are showing quite a bit of color and seem to be heavily budded. Heronswood yellow just now breaking ground.

But I've had a strange helleborus year, with plants blooming sporadically since May. Several put out their first flowers out of season from seed grown plants ( none of those flowers produced seed but I understand thats normal.)

Bookmark   December 13, 2004 at 4:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikeybob

It's a couple months too early here.
I have a few trying to bloom anyway.
Here's a picture I took yesterday...

Bookmark   December 14, 2004 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
planting of seed
I recently orderd some hellebore seed from the U.K....
rodh
From bright color flowers to....hellebores
I purchased my first hellebores today on clearance....
lilsprout
Spring pruning: Yes or No?
Previously I have not cut off the old leaves on my...
geoforce
New Transplants
Hi, I recently planted a couple of Hellebores in my...
mavarin
Argutifolius is a real pain
Of all the hundreds of hellebores I grow I am disgusted...
geoforce
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™