KitchenAid foodmill for grape or apple juice?

steve22802(7a VA)February 22, 2012

I've been thinking about buying the KitchenAid foodmill attachment for my mixer and I've read the reviews that say it works great for applesauce and tomato juice/sauce, but what about grape juice or apple juice/cider? Has anyone tried these? Would you warm the grapes first to soften the skins and get the most flavor? Do the grape seeds jam this attachment? Perhaps seedless grapes would work better? How about apples, could you run shredded apples through this foodmill in order to make apple cider? I assume you would get some pulp in the juice as well. Any personal experiences using the KA foodmill to make fruit juices would be welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

It isn't going to make apple juice or grape juice, but a puree.
The best thing for making juice is a steam juicer.

Here is a link that might be useful: steam juicer

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 2:52PM
steve22802(7a VA)

Thanks for the response Linda Lou. I've used a borrowed steam juicer before and they do make nice clear juice, but it's rather slow for doing large quantities and seems to leave a lot of juice in the pulp. I was hoping for a faster method. Perhaps I should look into building a press instead.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 4:22PM
planatus(6)

I have a steam juicer and a couple of food mills, all of which come into play in good fruit years. The grapes do especially well in the steamer. We've been avoiding buying a cider mill/press,but will probably break down and do it this year if the fruit set is good on the apple trees.

We have been successful making apple juice, pear nectar and wine, but can't make real cider without raw juice. For that you need an apple grinder/press.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 5:26PM
steve22802(7a VA)

Planatus, I've been thinking some about building my own juice press. Have you seen any designs on the web that you like? There are various homemade presses shown on YouTube. I like the one at the following link as I already have a small hydraulic bottle jack I could use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade cider press

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Cranberry Hal. pepper jelly aka turkey's revenge
Is there any reason why I can't use dries crandberries...
ahbee01
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™