Sweet smelling thyme??

sakicatFebruary 21, 2007

For several years I have had a thyme that had a sweet smell(similar to sweet marjarom) instead of the sharp smell of most thymes. I have now lost my plant and cannot find another. Does anyone have any idea what I had?? It was not one of the citrus thymes nor was it a wooly thyme. It had a shiny leaf, the stems were not woody, it was a creeping type about 6 inches tall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Could it be oregano? I grew both here and the thyme had a much smaller leaf size. They are similar. Sometimes different soil conditions also help to give you a different flavor and smell. Not sure how you lost the plant, but if it sets blossoms and seeds, you might consider collecting some seeds. If its rooted from cuttings, then using a rooting hormone may help to give you a continous growth.

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 11:12AM
sakicat

No, It's not oregano. I have that also. This looks like some other thymes that I have but the smell is much different. To me, thyme and oregano both have a sharp smell that is not altogether pleasant although I love the taste of both in cooking. The one I am looking for has a very pleasant sweet smell. I don't think the soil would have anything to do with it because my mom and I both had it and it and it was the same at both our houses. I never noticed any blooms or seeds although I'm sure it must have had some. We always propagated by digging out a little clump from the side. I don't know why it died out as we had it for 6 or 7 years with no problems. Thanks for the input.

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 9:38AM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Wish I could help further.. About all you can do is to find sources for seeds and start a couple of plants using the diffeent seeds from different sources. Also, try to find a few plants. You amy get lucky and find that one or more of the plants you are growing are going to be similar or evcen the same. Just keep good records and mark each pot with its seed source. Good luck!

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
Mint leaves darkening and curling - HELP!!
Hey! I have an indoor mint plant that I purchased from...
James Lim
plants in cat litter bags?
I've seen pics of plants growing in reusable shopping...
mystmaiden
Flat chives
I have a pot of chives, I planted from seed over a...
karen58_gw
epazote from seed
I got my epazote seeds in today from Seeds of Change,...
mystmaiden
fruit flies
how do I get rid of fruit flies in my herb plants
Sponsored Products
Van Teal Magic 33" High Gold Acrylic Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Pink/ Grey Chevron Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
Seda France Citron du Sud Toile 2-Wick Ceramic Candle
$59.00 | FRONTGATE
Grace Crib Bedding
Home Decorators Collection