who's been nibbling?

dgregory_so.cntrl.IL_zone6aFebruary 27, 2013

Went out to get the mail and as usual, along the way I look over beds. That's when I saw Southern Comfort had baby leaves. Looking beyond that I saw that 2 or 3 old leaves (under oak leaves) were still intact while several others had been nibbled off!

Deer? Squirrels?

The other heuchera in that bed were left untouched....thank goodness.

Any thoughts?
Deb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Rabbits? Look for a sharp diagonal cut for rabbits.

tj

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 8:04PM
dgregory_so.cntrl.IL_zone6a

Ahh yes, well we do have a few bunnies around here, but I had forgotten about those guys.

TJ, thanks for the hint as to the possible culprit. It's just that I was surprised that they had gotten munched on.
:-)

Deb

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 7:50AM
garden_crazy(z5 N IL)

tj
The rabbits always eat mine as the snow fades away in late winter. I figure at that point they are doing me a favor by cleaning up the scraggly old leaves. I let them have at it until the new growth really kicks in, then I protect them with dried blood. -That also gives them a nitrogen burst. It works for heuchera loving deer also.

gc

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 10:48AM
rbrady(5/Eastern Ia)

Rabbits love to snack on mine too, they usually eat on them if there is no snow cover. They ate so many of them this winter I ended up wrapping some of them with chicken wire to protect them. In fact, I have rabbits so bad I have to wrap most of my trees and shrubs to protect them from the little rascals. My gardens seem to be an endless buffet:-(

Rhonda

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 12:16PM

I have a question :-)
gardencrazy said: "I let them have at it until the new growth really kicks in, then I protect them with dried blood. -That also gives them a nitrogen burst. It works for heuchera loving deer also."

Is the "dried blood" that you referred to a product like bone meal?

tia,
Deb

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 6:52PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Yes, dried blood is a regular store bought item. You can also use blood meal but I prefer the dried blood. Be careful. It is high in nitrogen and can burn tender plants (like lettuce, no so much heuchs) so just sprinkle it around.

tj

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 7:07PM

OK thanks tj I'll look for it the next time I go garden stuff shopping. The added benefit of detouring the deer makes me happy too :-)

Deb

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 7:22PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I found exactly the same pattern of munching on my one and only heuchera. I think mine is just a Purple Palace, but I love how it contrasts with the other plants in my shade garden. I planted a bunch of seedlings last year, but they were so small I lost track of them. Maybe the rabbits missed them, too. I really wish I could have an outdoor cat, but they are horrible for so many other animals, not just the rabbits. I may need to try the blood or other products. Thanks for the information.

Martha

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Pics today of some of the Heucheras...
Grabbed some pics today for a topic on a different...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
Divide and repot my blooming heuchera?
A Most of my heuchera are blooming like crazy. The...
cakbu z9 CA
Rose Hill Gardens
For All You Heuchera Lovers near Hobart WI,,,, Rose...
newhostaaddict
Which Heuchera cultivars are working for you?
The green industry is rushing lots of Heuchera to market....
Plant More Natives
Dormancy?
I read in another post about heuchera going into dormancy...
cakbu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™