Canning Frozen Rhubarb

missemerald(7 (Virginia))February 16, 2013

So, I'm cleaning out the freezer and I discovered that I'd frozen way more rhubarb than I remembered doing last year (my plants were very prolific) and I thought I'd try to put some of it jars. I don't want to make any more jam-- have way too much of that already, and I've already made a ton of Victorian BBQ Sauce (Ball Book) which uses rhubarb and my family loves. Anyone have any good recipes for pie filling or something similar? The Ball book uses cinnamon and apples in their Strawberry Rhubarb filling which seems... odd. Also, I have friends that have strawberry allergies, can I substitute cherries for strawberries, if I make something for them?

Thanks so much!
Marcy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Why not just can it plain? That way you can use it in multiple ways after opening, add whatever you want to it then. Since it is already going to be mushy when thawed that would be the best option. Plus that way you don't have to mess with the Clear Jel to make it into pie filling. You can add any thickener you want later.

Dave

PS: But yes you can sub the cherries if you wish. You can also mix in cranberries.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning Stewed Rhubarb

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 10:42AM
myfamilysfarm

I canned up about 50# this year, from fresh rhubarb, just cooked it til tender (don't know if I had to, or could have raw packed it). I'll be straining the juice off for jelly and pulp for jam later. Or maybe pie with the pulp.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 12:02PM
kriswrite(zone 8)

This is from the Ball Complete Book and it's delicious: http://proverbsthirtyonewoman.blogspot.com/2013/05/canning-rhubarb-strawberry-pie-filling.html

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™