Show Winner

taurustendency(5 mid missouri)July 12, 2013

hi guys, im new to this forum, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed in the past. I was given Show Winner last year and have not been able to find any info on it at all. when i try to look it up online, i am bombarded with every daylily that has ever won a show/award. does anyone know anything about it? thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

Sorry, but are you sure it wasn't simply a winner at a show instead of the name?
kay

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 6:22PM
dementieva(Zone 9 - Houston)

I don't think AHS would even accept a name like that under their rules. Could be someone's nickname for a plant.

Nate

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 7:25PM
shive(6b TN)

There is no registered daylily called Show Winner. Could it possibly be Stakes Winner by John Rice?

Debra

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:37PM
floota

This name would be prohibited under the AHS Database registration rules ( rules that AHS must follow under ICNCP in order to remain the official registering body for the genus hemerocallis.)
So this is obviously not a registered cultivar and can be regarded as a seedling! It is a shame that people put unregistered cultivars out there in commerce, because all it does is confuse people and it makes some mad to learn they have bought an unregistered cultivar. Personally I have learned ( the hard way) to always check on whether a cultivar is registered before purchasing it.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 12:26PM
taurustendency(5 mid missouri)

thanks guys! i was given it by someone who is usually pretty good about keeping track of names...so im pretty sure it isnt a knickname. however, i guess that just leaves the only other option, that it is a seedling that someone named as show winner.

this is my 2nd summer with it, and i have to say that im not too impressed. we have about 65 different ones that we are strict about marking and keeping track of...so i know i didnt get them mixed up. however, this years bloom looks nothing like last years. i guess we'll never know! thanks!

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:13PM

ahhh...okay. i just asked the guy where he got this one from. he said it came from wal-mart. weve had issues with getting the wrong ones from them. i probably have about 4 from them, that are not what they said they were. i dont know where wal-mart's supplier dug up the name show winner, but im not at all surprised now.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:35PM

this is the one that they had labeled as show winner...any id ideas? the first bloom last year was a double...but it has looked like this ever since.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:16AM
nat4b(4)

No id idea, but it is a pretty red.

Before I knew any better I also bought packs of daylily roots from Walmart. All of them grew and flowered nicely but neither was true to name. I am not sure about the ones in pots but those in packs come from Holland - notorious for mislabeling. I also got packs of lily bulbs from Holland (not at WM), also wrongly named.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 12:33PM
Tn_Tree_Man(7A)

I too, bought some "bagged" daylily roots from Walmart back in February of this year. 'Show Winner' was one of them. Although I have not found it on the AHS site as a current registered cultivar ('Minnie Pearl' is not listed either), it did offer an attractive flower for me the first year of planting. I was a little disappointed in the fact that it was not as purple as the picture illustrated but we will see what next year brings.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 7:42PM
dementieva(Zone 9 - Houston)

There is a registered plant named MINI PEARL. Again, what you bought might not be correctly labeled, but that is probably what they intended to label it as.

Nate

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 6:33AM
nat4b(4)

So they put two different daylilies in bags named Show Winner?!? Or maybe not even just two..
As for the names that's what they do I heard, just change the spelling slightly - like Moonlight Masquerade, Lady Betty Fritz, Sabina Bauer, etc

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 2:05PM

yeah, im betting it wasnt just these two!

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:35PM
pdsavage(5/6)

I just grabed a bag of them at wal mart and was trying to find it on one of the daylily databases.

Found it here as well.
http://euroblooms.com/spring.asp

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 6:41AM
sann777

I bought several packages of daylilies at Walmart, this spring, half price, $2.65 each. One was Catherine Woodbery. I put two pieces of it in a pot and it immediately sent up a skinny scape. It had 7 buds at the top. It turned out to be a Stella de Oro when it bloomed. I also bought Show Winner. The package shows it to be purple with yellow-green eye. Several of the ones I've planted sure do look like Stella greenery. I will find out if and when they bloom.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 9:13PM
daisysp(z6 MI)

I am an editor at a (Plant file data site)
Someone just added the Daylily 'Show Winner', but it is not registered as you know. We have to delete it. What is weird is the image is even different than the 2 above. It is a medium Pink with a purple eye!

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 9:44PM
nat4b(4)

That's funny! They just need to stop giving those bag names :)

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 11:42PM
More Discussions
Clean up and beautify Garden Web!
You can add an extension to your browser for Firefox...
Brad KY
"Debugging" New Dayliles
Last year I ordered some dayliles online I think may...
antlil
Looking better...Knee and Spring's Arrival
January 10th, while walking across a level floor, carrying...
organic_kitten
Need some serious Daylily help
We are upgrading the front of the house with new railings...
msskriss
Rice Daylilies
I've grown quite a few of the daylilies hybridized...
Julia NY
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™