Red Antwerp Raspberries & Lawton Blackberries

bluepelt(FL)June 8, 2006

I have been reading a book I borrowed from the library, "Ten Acres Enough", and it praises these berries.

The book was written in the 1800's, so I guess that qualifies them as heirlooms.

I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of them or suggestions for sources should I want to aquire some.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feldon30(N Houston (8))

Finding a fair amount of information about Red Antwerp Raspberries but not about how to get them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loganberry
The loganberry is generally thought to be derived from a cross between the Red Antwerp raspberry and the American blackberry Aughinburgh. It was accidentally created in 1880 or 1881 in Santa Cruz, California by the American lawyer and horticulturist James Harvey Logan (1841-1928).

Something tells me this is a lost variety because every reference to it is from the 1880's.

Lawton Blackberries are commercially available. I'm sure a Google search will yield a place you can order cuttings from.

Bookmark   June 9, 2006 at 4:53PM
botanybabe

I grow Lawton blackberries, and they are divine.

Lainey

Bookmark   June 25, 2006 at 9:18AM
feldon30(N Houston (8))

I miss living in PA. Black Raspberries (not blackberries) would probably die or produce bitter berries here. We had a wild patch up there. Mmmmmmmmm!!!

Bookmark   June 25, 2006 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
Help from eggplant enthusiasts
I posted this message in the Vegetable Forum, but I'm...
maij
heirloom tomato info
Has anyone heard of a tomato called "Mt. Pleasant'?...
katek
Homestead tomatoes
I don't know if they just don't like me or what, but...
corrigan
Squash identification
Anyone able to ID this squash? Got it from a friend...
gertyrae
Purple Carrots
I've been looking for some seeds of purple/black carrots...
julie321
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™