Lucky Kolkwitzia amabilis / Beauty Bush Find

cgarnier(z 5a (NB, CAN))June 27, 2003

Had to share a lucky find....

We bought a house in Dec. with little to no existing gardens... BUT there was this big 'ugly' bush in the back yard hillside. As it turns out it's a Kolkwitzia amabilis / Beauty bush which,while unremarkable during most of the year, can be spectacular in bloom. This one is about 20 years old! The former owners kept it sheared like a trimmed pillar cedar... so it's probably not been identified as a flowering shrub... but it won't be trimmed this year let me tell you!!

Below are urls to pics... (Not of MY bush but others found on the net.)

http://www.timestocome.com/personal/garden/may29-2002-016.jpg

http://www.marysplantfarm.com/_photos/shrubs/kolkwitzia2.jpg

Gotta love a good find!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cambse(8 - Renton WA)

Congratulation, What a great feeling! Instead of something ugly, you'll have a graceful arching beauty. I have three of these and I think they're pretty in winter also with their strong branching patterns. Wonder why on earth they would prune it like that? Kolkwitzia amabilis's strong point is it's form and flowers. Have fun with your (almost) blank canvas.

Happy gardening,
Carole

Bookmark   July 20, 2003 at 6:40PM
karen_mcgaffney(5BOH)

I just got one of these!!!!

Bookmark   April 11, 2004 at 1:56PM
sam6(z6Ok)

Does this beauty Bush have violet colored berries in the fall? I got a plant from my son in Missouri, that they call a Quail Bush, that I think is the same .
sam6

Bookmark   November 12, 2004 at 11:58AM
mistercross(z6b Ozarks)

Sam6, it looks like they are different plants. As the title says Beauty Bush is Kolkwitzia amabilis. There is also an American Beauty Bush, Callicarpa americana. But Quail Bush is Atriplex lentiformis. All seem completely different.

Bookmark   November 19, 2004 at 4:33AM
Lemyea5(z7 MD)

I fell in love with these after seeing them featured on a PBS show. I bought two of them (at least the guy at the garden center SAID they were), and I planted them two years ago. They have grown some, but are still fairly small and have yet to flower. Do they take a few years to bloom? Also, the leaves on mine are tiny...about half an inch long.

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
'Watermellon' radish
Just bought some of these at the farmer's market. Looks...
dvdgzmn
Heirloom petunias
Years ago - during the 1950's - my mother grew petunias....
Chance1945
Heirloom tomato plants
This is my first large garden. I am not sure if I should...
hyazvac
Squash identification
Anyone able to ID this squash? Got it from a friend...
gertyrae
Wire fence for backyard of 1920 Bungalow
I am looking for wire fencing that was used as backyard...
Jane Hardy - Tennessee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™