OT Sand as Mulch or what?

wren_garden(zone 5b/6)July 17, 2014

I posted this on the Cottage Garden forum but I know you all are looking in on this forum frequently this time in the season. I have always had great response and help here.
We had to take down our 21' above ground pool. There is a 4+" bed of sand where the pool sat.Found one great use for some of the sand. I have lifted the stones in all the stepping stone paths and reset them with a hefty bed of this sand. There is still plenty of sand left. I thought of putting some at the back of all the beds against the house and fences to "hide" more. Would it work to put a 1 inch layer or so on all the beds as a "mulch" of sorts? Has anyone had experience with sand in the garden? I have to get rid of the sand by the end of August so the spot can be go through rehab with added soil and rototilling for a new flower bed and lawn. It's a job and a half and any ideas are welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bragu_DSM 5

would it work as a base for a berm in the yard, put your soil over top, or mix with it? sand is not a mulch. water runs through it, it is too porous. of course, you could put it in sand bags, and have extra weight in the trunk during winter for traction. my back hurts thinking of this stuff...

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 6:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deangreen(7b OK)

I think you could throw it at the back of the beds near the house no worries, but it would work its way into the soil eventually and things would still grow in it, so not mulch of a mulch really.
perhaps leaving a trace of it behind where the pool was will help give some drainage to the new beds above?? :)

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
Pretty Pinks Posing Prettily
There were a lot of pinks drawing my attention in the...
shive
Rice Daylilies
I've grown quite a few of the daylilies hybridized...
Julia NY
May have cooked my seeds?
After a number of seasons of trying to find a warm...
del_s
Fertilizing daylily seedlings
My sprouts are about 2 weeks old and getting to be...
nancykvb
Rain, Rain Go Away...
We have had an abundance of rain...I am glad, but am...
organic_kitten
Sponsored Products
Cosby Loveseat - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
Carmel Multi-Colored Rectangular: 5 Ft. 6 x 8 Ft. 3 Rug
$400.00 | Bellacor
'Hoot!' Owl Pillow
$14.99 | zulily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Habitat Buoy Sand 2 ft. x 3
$48.97 | Home Depot
Sunburst WATER & DIRT SHIELD Mat
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
KOHLER Jetted Bathtubs Underscore 5.5 ft. Air Bath Tub in Mexican Sand
Home Depot
Electri-Chef Island Marine 16 in. Built-In Electric Grill - 4400-EC-224-IM-16IN
Hayneedle
3D Wall Panels Plant Fiber Sands Design (6 Panels Per Box)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™