Why are my carrot tops falling over?

JayLoweJune 22, 2012

Hello everyone! This is my first post, first real garden, and also an introduction. I hope I can get some answers on a few things.

First off my name is Joshua. I live in central Maryland and due to many circumstances I have decided to begin organic gardening to provide fresh healthy food for my family. I have a garden plot about 25' by 15'. Inside I have a decent selection of items. A row of cabbage, 3 rows of corn, 1 row of watermelon, cantaloupe, and pie pumpkins. 1 row of yellow squash, 1 zucchini, 1 row of okra, a couple broccoli plants, a couple cauliflower plants, a row of various lettuces, head, leaf, and spicy. A row of bush beans, a row of peas, and finally a row of carrots.

Man that's a lot to type in :). So far so good this year however I have noticed my carrots which are about 40-50 days old have begun to fall over a bit. They are still green and healthy but are just starting to lop over. They are baby finger carrots and they are planted in small bunches about 5-6 carrot every 6 inches in a row. They ones on the outside of the bunches seem to be the ones falling over.

I pulled up one the other night and it was only maybe an inch long and not mature at all as it was still white with just a hint of orange in the middle where the soil line is.

I am just wondering if maybe they are just a little top heavy or what? Has anyone else seen this before? Maybe I am just being a worry wort.

I included a pic I took of my plot so you guys can get a mental image of what I am working with.

This was taken about a week ago. It doesn't look like garden-topia quite yet but its going pretty good just a few small hiccups here and there.

I can admit I have fallen in love with gardening.

Here's to many great harvests for everyone!

Cheers!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Try the Vegetable Forum

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/cornucop/

Here is a link that might be useful: veg forum

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 12:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

water, mulch to keep moisture in
thin them if planted too closely
easy mulch is made with dried grass clippings with no herbicides used on lawn

I wish you a great 1st growing season and good eating for your family. Home grown is best!

Corrine

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
best melon for Louisiana - high rainfall
I know there are a lot of postings on "best melons" But...
greenman62
want to identify a kind of green onion.
Hello all, to start, a gardener I am not. My thumb...
Rick07
Is liriope an heirloom?
Weird question, I know. But a friend is searching for...
dabbler-wmn
help rabbits eating my plants!
I am faced again with rabbits eating my flowers, any...
nailah
Purple Carrots
I've been looking for some seeds of purple/black carrots...
julie321
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™