BWB canning recipe sub (ground ginger for grated ginger root)?

eaglesgarden(6b - se PA)February 4, 2011

I have all the ingredients pulled for a chutney, except for ginger root. I am planning to can this after work tonight, but I don't want to do it if it is unsafe. Anyway, the recipe calls for 1 tsp of grated ginger root. My family never uses that. We use ground ginger in pumpkin recipes, so I have that on hand.

The recipe calls for 1 tsp of grated ginger root, in a recipe that makes 64 oz. I figure the substitution shouldn't make a big difference. Am I correct?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Assuming the rest of the recipe is a safe one then there are no safety issues with the ginger substitution. But I wouldn't sub 1 tsp of ground for 1 tsp of grated as the ground is much finer texture so measures differently. Maybe 1/2 tsp ground?

Dave

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 3:09PM
eaglesgarden(6b - se PA)

The recipe is from the Ball Complete Book, I think it's safe. ;^)

Thanks for the advice on the measurement.

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 4:24PM
jimnginger(9)

Ground ginger is a POOR substitute for fresh grated ginger. Where I live it is available at every market in town.
Jim in So Calif

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 10:04AM
eaglesgarden(6b - se PA)

It wasn't a matter of availability, but a matter of unwillingness to purchase for a single recipe. I can understand why you would defend fresh ginger though. ;^)

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 12:39PM
jimnginger(9)

Eaglesgarden: I guess because I am a cook and a person with taste.
I am not defending ginger anymore that I would "defend" any other important ingredient in a recipe. Boy, I could really run with this ball into ridiculousness.
If you replace a particularly significant taste (as fresh ginger is) with something that tastes completely different (powdered ginger), you will not get the same flavor results.
Try making your next BBQ steak out of beef jerky! If you have never eaten a steak, the dried jerky might taste OK.
If you are concerned about buying a knob of ginger (about 25 cents here), and having the balance go to waste, you may freeze it and grate it frozen into dishes you might make. It combines well with chicken dishes and chicken stock, a variety of pork dishes, and any number of Asian dishes.
After tasting a small amount, you will have an idea of what it might go with (pairs wonderfully with pineapple).
Jim in So Calif

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 2:35AM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

I too would not substitute. A friend of mine once tried to substitute ground ginger for the root in a recipe I gave him for sesame noodles. It turned out terrible.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 6:14AM
eaglesgarden(6b - se PA)

jimnGINGER,

I was making a joke, since your handle includes the word/name "ginger". I understand that substitutions alter the flavor. My concern was not with the flavor, but the safety. I appreciate your advice concerning ginger root, and will consider it more seriously in the future.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 12:59PM
jimnginger(9)

Eaglesgarden,
Now I feel dense!
My wife's nickname is Ginger.
I did NOT even make the connection between the question and my handle.
Jim in So Calif

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 6:16AM
eaglesgarden(6b - se PA)

Not to worry, Jim. We all have our moments. :^)

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Does anyone use a pH meter in home canning?
My question is about the Wisconsin extension document...
randaloulton
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™