Red spider mites?

delphinusFebruary 11, 2013

Hi I have a little herb garden in a planter box in my backyard which has lemon balm, cilantro, parsley and apple mint. This morning I just noticed groups on bugs at the bottom of the leaves on climatology and parsley. What are them? Red spider mites? Is it harmful to my herbs? What's the remedy?

Anything would help!

Just a side note, I live in Southern California. So it does get pretty warm during the day.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Wow - amazing magnification! Terrifying giant fingernail! That's an aphid. They suck sap and can cause distortion and spread viruses. You can wash them off with a good squirt from the hose. But you'll have to keep an eye out and repeat as necessary.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 4:28PM
zzackey(8b GA)

Red spider mites are tiny. You usually need a loop to see them. First sign of one is a yellowing spot in the middle of the leaf. They hang out underneath the leaf.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 8:01PM
delphinus

So far I have spray soapy water, brought in lady bugs, sprayed organic pesticide, use a strong hose to spray the bugs off the plants and harbenaro with garlic water. Seems like majority of the bugs are off the leaves... But I can see them on the soil...

I am running of idea. Anyone have any suggestions? If not I will have to get rid of my herb garden and start over... :(

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:15PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

If what you can see on the soil really are the aphids you have washed off the plants then not many of them will get back onto them. Aphids are weak fliers (and in some stages have no wings anyway). Just persevere with the hose. No need to start all over again. You will need to be vigilant and just keep at them when you see them. Personally, I would not use any pesticide, organic or not, on something I intended to eat.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 1:56PM
chiefdembe

for aphids, if u want to use herbal insecticides i recomend inter cropping with onions and garlic. for the meantime trying soaking garlic and onion in water and mix with soap and spray on plants

Here is a link that might be useful: SSENT Herbal Shop

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 4:40AM
More Discussions
When can you plant Cilantro seeds in your Garden?
I'm in Zone 5, I know Cilantro can tolerate some cool...
jd101
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
zenovia_p
Starting & Growing Mandrake
Hello! So, I was lucky enough to receive 5 Mandrake,...
stardrifting
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™