How to freeze mustard greens?

vall3fam(9 CentralCA)February 12, 2009

I'm being blessed with an abundance of mustard greens and need to get them harvested. How are they when frozen? I'm assuming the usual quick blanch then cold shock before freezing. But how to remove the excess water before freezing. I plan on putting them in foodsaver bags.

Any input and successes?

Elaine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

A salad spinner will do nicely for water removal. It doesn't get all of it, but if they are placed single layer on a big towel, they should dry quite well. You can then bag and freeze.

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 12:52PM
shirleywny5(5)

I blanch mustard greens, collards, beet greens and kale before freezing.

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 6:05AM
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

That's the way I do mine, blanch, chill, dry and bag....I love greens and I raise and freeze lots and lots of different kinds.

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 12:36PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Last summer, for the first time, I had planted about 15 areas with mixed salad greens. Bib, red leaf, and many other gourmet salad greens. I actually had way too much and can't freeze these without them turning to mush. I used an Oxo salad spinner after rinsing them off. I don't spray anything and they were very prolific and slow to bolt. I thought I may run out by August, so I planted about 8 more areas with the same mixes. These matured fast and I could pick all the way through September. Had so much I was giving away big 2 gallon zipper bags packed with the mixed greens. My grape tomatoes were late but the pickling cukes were good. The excess of these vegetables also were given away as I just can't live on salad alone every day. This year, I don't plan to plant as many, but will do a smaller planting in late May and another in July. Most were just fine with the summer heat too. I was very sick last summer, and used a 5 gallon plastic pail turned upside down to sit on while I picked. I just grabbed a clump and twist them off. Also added a few broccoli greens for a little tang. These gourmet greens are the kinds you see selling for well over $5 a pound. Everyone was loving them. Using organic origins of fertilizeers for the necessary nitrogen helped quite a lot too. I used fish meal and kelp meal as well as some of the other organic fertilizers.

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™