Help dividing French tarragon

hortster(6a, southcentral KS)February 1, 2009

I have a French tarragon plant that has grown quite large and needs to be divided. Has anyone had experience doing this? The cluster of stems is 15" across at the base, and my question is, how sensitive is it ot being chopped into numerous pieces (say 8 or more) to multiply the crop? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
francescod(6b/7a VA)

I am assuming that you can see the new growth peaking from the soil. I would dig up about half the plant leaving the rest undisturbed. This is so that if the divisions don't take then you will at least still have the mother. The number of new plants you can get will depend on the number of new shoots there are. I would try to keep 2 or three shoots per division although technically each one could become a new plant on its own. Having multiples in each clump will help the survival rate of each clump. Tarragon won't start growing until the days get longer. The divisions might take better once they just start to grow.
If there aren't any new shoots peaking out then don't divide yet.

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 4:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

Thanks for the advice. We are still a month and a half away from the beginning of spring. I will heed your directions! Thannks again.

Bookmark   February 2, 2009 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™