Transplanted herbs won't stand up!

Kalarin(6b)February 22, 2013

Hi all!

I'm new to gardening, and have recently decided to start my own herb garden. Since I'm so new, I went with plants that had already been grown so I wouldn't have to baby them from a seedling.

My problem is that after I transferred a couple of these herbs, namely my mint and sage, they refused to sit upright in their bed of dirt! They stood tall in their original tiny plastic cup, so where did I go wrong, and what can I do to make them happy and perky again? Would tying them to a stick for awhile help them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

I think if you'd undergone a transplant operation, you'd feel a bit droopy, too. Plants go into 'transplant shock' when moved - just give them time to recover and they'll stand up tall and proud after a week or two. Meantime, don't feed them, don't overwater them - just let them get on with their recovery and all will be well.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 7:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kalarin(6b)

You have a good point - if someone shook me out of my comfy home, I guess I WOULD feel a bit droopy! I'm glad to hear it's just a natural process in the transplanting process. I was worried I had done something wrong when moving them! I'll take your advice and let them do their own thing to recover :D

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 3:20AM
More Discussions
Can you please name this herb (Qatar)
It smells more like Mint, but it looks like a Basil, I...
maufie123
Flat chives
I have a pot of chives, I planted from seed over a...
karen58_gw
What is attacking my precious basil?
I have a 4 foot grow light (2 tubes 6500K) in my living...
xiaobao12
Herb Seedlings Yellowing - Basil, Oregano, Chives
I just started some herb seeds and was wondering if...
syntria
HELP!!! My mint plant is growing SMALLER!!!
Just over a week ago, I purchased a potted mint plant...
James Lim
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™