Is there a dark Heuchera/ella/Tiarella for SE full sun?

funnthsun z7A - Southern VAMay 8, 2013

I know there are some Heucheras, Heucherellas and Tiarellas that will tolerate or even like full sun. I am in central NC and I need a dark purple, black, burgundy, dark red foilage perennial to compliment Blue Princess Verbena (lavender flowers) and Glow Girl Spireas (bright lime foilage). Burgundy is the other color that is mixed into this border (along with buttery yellow, FYI). I thought about Eucomis Sparkling Burgundy and will probably still mix that one in a bit, but really, Heucheras (etc.) are the perfect plant b/c they have all the colors that I would want to blend in. Burgundy, Lime, Purple, etc. BUT will any of the darker varieties take sun from 10:00 am until about 4 pm? I have noticed that some varieties (like Solar Eclipse) say that they took 100 degree days, but then Lazy S still lists them as part sun in the South. Anyone had any success with full sun in the SouthEast on any of these? I know Obsidian has had great success, but what else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irawon(5a Ottawa)

You can't go wrong with Palace Purple. It also self seeds readily to type so you would have its offspring to use as well.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Why don't my heucheras thrive?
I like them so much, but I'm becoming disillusioned...
sandyslopes z5 n. UT
Rose Hill Gardens
For All You Heuchera Lovers near Hobart WI,,,, Rose...
newhostaaddict
This forum moves slower than a snail on sleeping pills!
Yup, exactly..Doesn't anyone have anything to share...
meyermike_1micha
Excited newbie
I have been lurking here a bit and enjoyed looking...
Oaktown
heuchera died
I went heuchera crazy this season and ended up with...
southerngardening24
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™