Herbs in partial shade

taylorbrightFebruary 11, 2008

Hey,

I posted a similar message on two other forums (want to make sure I cast this net wide!) But, I'm trying to grow some herbs in partial shade (and maybe more than that. Also, trying a little shade garden and trying to grow some veggies in the more lit places.) But, I'm looking for any advice and suggestions about what to grow. I have room, so I'm looking for a lot! Thanks. And you can see what I'm doing here:

http://mercenarygardens.blogspot.com/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Do some googling, and also do some searching here.

http://search.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=herbs+for+shade&forum=herbs&forum_name=Herbs

Here is a link that might be useful: herbs for shade

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 3:11AM
chaman(z7MD)

All kind of basils and mints.

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 10:53PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

It is my experience that basil likes as much sun as it can get. It will grow in partial shade, but tends to become very leggy as the stems reach out for the sun. Even mints will do that if there is too much shade. Most of the popular culinary herbs (the so-called Mediterranean ones like basil, thyme, rosemary, sage etc) like at least 6-8 hours of full sun every day, if not more, and they like the heat, too.

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 2:03AM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Some herbs like shade and cool areas, some like very hot and full sun. Without really knowing what 'herbs' you plan to grow, there isn't an easy answer. Recently, I posted a comment about the thousands of diffeent herbs, when in fact that count is incorrect and could reach many hundreds of thousands or even more.

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 9:26AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Not to mention that.....

Cooks and herbalists mean a plant having specific medicinal or culinary uses when they say "herb". But to a botanist, an herb is a plant without woody stems, in other words not a tree or shrub. That expands the number even more! ;)

So any direction people could give when they say "herb," especially identifying specific plants, will help others to give the information that is being looking for.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 10:36AM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

I guess what is needed is the type of growing enviornment, in that if its full sun, or partial sun, how much per day. Additionally, it also depends on morning sun as opposed to afternoon sun. An example of some common herbs; things like rosemary, dill, and basil do well in full sun, whereas something like cilantro cannot tolerate too much sun or heat.

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 2:53PM
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

I noticed the tree growing over your beds. If you want to garden and the tree isn't all that dear to you I'd have it removed. I live in a forest and have cleared out a nice area to garden, I do have to plant varieties with shorter matutity days though. I'm still trying to find varieties of tomatoes that will do better here. Good luck. As for herbs, they are right basil and most culinary herbs need full sun. But parsley is one that will do ok in part shade (4-6 hrs of full sun, not filtered). But with a tree like yours overhanging your raised beds I'd say you have full shade.

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Mitsuba and perilla
I have tried growing mitsuba and a few types of perilla...
rozenkruetz
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
Starting & Growing Mandrake
Hello! So, I was lucky enough to receive 5 Mandrake,...
stardrifting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™