Who's growing Stevia rebaudiana

catman529(6b)February 19, 2009

I am growing S. rebaudiana this year. Got the seeds from Richters, so far, pretty good germ rate considering stevia usually has a very low germ rate. At leat 50%, probably more. Who else is growing it, and when do you start fertilizing and how diluted must the first fert be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Don't overdo the fertiliser, especially while the plants are babies. Overfeeding can kill any baby plant - even adults!

Either choose a slow-release general fertiliser according to manufactuer's instructions, or apply a liquid seaweed as a foliage spray once fortnightly.

For heaven's sake, don't allow the soil to become waterlogged - nor let it ever dry out completely. Watch the watering - it can be quite a thirsty plant, but doesn't like constantly wet feet.

Mine is at least 10 years old, maybe more. I remove flowers as they appear - I've found that if I leave the flowers on, the plant dies back to nothing. It always comes back, however.

It's a temperamental little beast and will sometimes die just to spite you. Don't give up on it, however - if you continue keeping the soil just barely moist, it might just resurrect - even up to a year later!

Oh! and don't fertilise plants in winter! Most plants go into dormancy or partial dormancy then.

As an alternative to commercial fertilisers, you can fertilise your plants with a handful or two of compost. It works really well with the stevia. Mine's in a pot, and I just do it whenever the soil level gets a bit low.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 1:03AM
More Discussions
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
Bushy Dill
I am an admirer of the the large and lush fresh dill...
chervil2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™