When are Prescot Fond Blanc Melons ripe?

timbersquirrel(z4 MN)August 18, 2005

How can you tell when Prescot Fond Blanc melons are ripe? Mine turned white a week or two ago, should I be picking them? They're not turning rotten yet, but I'd like to get to them before they rot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolync1(z8/9 CA inland)

I'm no expert on this melon, and I live in a hot-summer climate, which may affect the signs of maturity. My PFBs turned a light orange-buff color and became very fragrant when ripe. Actually, they were fragrant before they were ripe. They slipped from the vine when the stem attachment was pushed. I don't think they are supposed to do this. But climate may have been a factor. They will be slightly flexible on the blossom end, too - but not soft.

Early in the season, I had PFBs pop from the vine before they were ripe - when they were still white, after watering. Be sure to withhold water before harvest. This is a very attractive melon when sliced to feature the scalloped edge. It was not the sweetest melon I grew this year, but not the least-sweet, either. The fragrance is stronger than with most melons, even before cutting.

Bookmark   August 20, 2005 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
black Siam tomato
I am growing a Black Siam Tomato this year and as with...
barbara97801
Heirloom petunias
Years ago - during the 1950's - my mother grew petunias....
Chance1945
stupice vs rutgers
I live near Chicago. For our 2015 garden I have devoted...
braidwood13
Civil War Era heirlooms?
Hi all, After reading a couple of Civil War diaries,...
tumblingtomatoes
Ground cherry
I'm considering ordering a ground cherry from Seed...
bex10023
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™