Please Clarify the Words

bugtussellmomAugust 13, 2009

Heirloom, Organic and non-GM in regard to seeds. I am totally confused and would like to use the correct terms.

Are all Organic seeds non-GM?

Are all Heirloom seeds non-GM?

Also - seedless grapes - all varieties will be genetically modified, right? Does that mean they are chemically treated?

Also, I'm confused with "genetically modified" in general. Is it correct to assume that all "treated" seeds are GM?

Are some seeds genetically modified simply to create a new variety - and are not necessarily unhealthy? (I consider all the seeds treated for either pests or weed-growth to be unhealthy.)

All I know is I don't want any seeds that our government agencies have tampered with over the years. I am of the belief that changing the seed structure has led to food that is less-healthy so I wish to avoid all of the seeds which are made un-natural. (I hope that made sense).

Thanks for your thoughts, opinions and lessons!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
perlite(z6, southern IN)

Well, I don't know all those answers! but your question has been there a couple of days.

Heirloom varieties are those that have been around a long time and may have become hard to find. A lot of us seek those out, knowing we can save some seed from them and they should come true. I am also sure that a true heirloom seed won't be GM.

On other questions, I leave it to others. My knowledge on them is mostly assumption, which, I guess, means it isn't knowledge at all!

I'd like to watch this thread, as I've wondered if hybridizing is considered genetic modification, or if GM refers only to splicing genetic material intentionally.

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 2:10PM
bruce2288

bug tussel

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 9:43PM
farmerdilla

"Are all Organic seeds non-GM? " There are no GM vegetable seeds cuurently available under the "organic " label. But organic refers to to cultural methods so could be possible in the future. Only GM vegetable currently available is Syngenta's Bt sweet corn and it is not available to home gardeners.

"Are all Heirloom seeds non-GM?" currently yes. "heirloom" is a varying definition. Some use age of introduction, others anything not introduced by a major seed company, others use the term for any open pollinated seed. All "heirlooms" are open pollinated"

"Also - seedless grapes - all varieties will be genetically modified, right? Does that mean they are chemically treated? " No seedless grapes were developed using standard crossbreeding practices. As with most named cultivars of fruits, they are reproduced by cloning. (grafting)

"Are some seeds genetically modified simply to create a new variety - and are not necessarily unhealthy? (I consider all the seeds treated for either pests or weed-growth to be unhealthy.)" While a vast amount of experimenting has taken place over the years, most GM products introduced to the public have been (1) (field cropS) and (2) pest control. Bt corn and Round-up ready corn, soybeans etc in the forefront.

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 8:15AM
rj_hythloday(8A VA)

One form of treated seeds are those treated w/ antifungicide to keep them from rotting in the ground before germination.

Corn, Pumpkin (are all I've dealt w/)- lets them be direct sowed in cooler weather where as non treated seeds will rot in the ground before germination takes place which is usually dependent on hotter soil temps.

Bookmark   August 17, 2009 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
Heirloom petunias
Years ago - during the 1950's - my mother grew petunias....
Chance1945
Grocery Store Heirloom Tomatoes
Forgive me, I bought 4 of them. Not having much of...
yardenman
heirloom daylilies
I am the Steward of a historic pre-1900 garden on the...
benton1873
'Watermellon' radish
Just bought some of these at the farmer's market. Looks...
dvdgzmn
Homestead tomatoes
I don't know if they just don't like me or what, but...
corrigan
Sponsored Products
Hampton Bay Gazebos 12 ft. x 10 ft. Patrice Gazebo Browns / Tans L-GZ800PST
Home Depot
Couristan Everest Hamptons Area Rug - Multi Stripe/Black - 0766/0601-3.11X3.11OC
$129.00 | Hayneedle
Square white rattan placemat 15" (set/2)
Origin Crafts
Morgan Chair - IVORY
$2,159.00 | Horchow
Speranza Carrera Beveled 3x6 Polished Marble Tile
$17.95 | TileBar
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 16 in. Orbitor Shade, Frosted Glass,Galvanized, Arm
Home Depot
Napoli II 68-Inch Sterling Walnut Ceiling Fan
$579.95 | Bellacor
Modern Block Rug 9'6" x 13'6" - GRAY ON BEIGE
$2,199.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™