What's wrong with two of the four?

weekendweeder(5A NY)June 24, 2012

There used to be six of these Palace Purples, all planted in a stand. Two of them did not survive the winter. One of them (#2 from left) ended up being kind of runty this year. Then just this past week #1 from the left, which had been as big and vigorous as #3 and #4, started to wilt. I thought it could possibly be root competition (from a spruce), but I dug them up and the roots look fine. No root competition or critter/pest damage. All in the same bed with about the same light and water. What might be wrong?

Here is the stand:

Here are #1 and #2:

Here are #3 and #4:

Would appreciate any insight and suggestions. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CindyCRNA(6a)

Have you watered it? I water mine daily or every other day as I know the trees are sucking up the moisture here. We have rain about once a month right now so everyone is getting extra attention.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 6:38PM
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

Looks like crown rot. I have lost a couple to this and I have yet to figure it out myself. Help me too. Paula

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 7:45PM
weekendweeder(5A NY)

Thanks for the responses. CindyCRNA, I think they've been getting water. When I dug them up the ground was neither soaked nor parched. And Paula, I tried to search for images of crown rot but could not find anything helpful on Google. I assumed it would be obvious--like a mushy crown? Oh, I am so confused.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 8:21PM

A while back I asked the same question but we were still on the Hosta forum. I was told crown rot. It was not soft or mushy but these babies were going south fast. Here is a photo of mine.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 8:56PM
weekendweeder(5A NY)

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember the thread. What did you end up doing? Last year I didn't amend the soil as consistently as I am with this year's plantings, so drainage could very well be the issue. Thanks for your pictures.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 8:08AM

I threw them over the back fence into the drainage ditch and bought new ones. The new ones have been doing great. I lost all 4 that I had bought that day from a back rack sale at Lowe's even tho they were in excellent condition.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 8:54AM
weekendweeder(5A NY)

Thanks for reporting back. Haven't yet decided what to put into those spots.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 9:40AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Mine look like the first pics when root weevils eat all their roots. :( I can just lift them up like they are a toupee and see the roots are gone when this happens.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 10:42PM
weekendweeder(5A NY)

Yeah, that toupee thing happened to the first two, and I thought they just didn't survive the winter. The weevils already found one of my rhodies, but I'm not sure how to use Tanglefoot on heuchera? How did you deal with the weevils, buyorsell?

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 8:42AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I mostly ignore them and buy new plants. I buy Orthene to spray but then forget to spray. I hate to spray anyway because of all the froggies in my yard.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
Heuchera I.D. Please
Can someone tell me the name of the heuchera in the...
cakbu
This forum moves slower than a snail on sleeping pills!
Yup, exactly..Doesn't anyone have anything to share...
meyermike_1micha
Sun loving heuchera, name anyone?..
I have had several of this heuchera in my yard for...
sherrygirl zone5
Why don't my heucheras thrive?
I like them so much, but I'm becoming disillusioned...
sandyslopes z5 northern UT
Divide and repot my blooming heuchera?
A Most of my heuchera are blooming like crazy. The...
cakbu z9 CA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™