When to put my herb seedlings outside

ClaudiaEHeyerMarch 29, 2014

I've been growing my new herb garden from seed under lights. Do I have to wait for the end of frost date to plant them outside or can I put them out into their new bed when the ground can be worked? They are thyme, sage, savory, Echinacea, bergamot, lavender, cilantro, basil (this is a definitely wait), dill, parsley, mint, oregano, and chives. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

You'd have to look each up individually to know frost tolerance. And baby plants will be much more susceptible. Personally, I think I'd wait unless you can do some sort of cold frame. Also make sure the plants get well hardened off before planting out--nights still get chilly, and your seedlings have never had real light. You can start letting them have some out-time daily.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 4:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I would wait until after frosts have past before moving outdoors permanently. Once established, hardy herbs will do just fine but baby/indoor grown plants are different. And I agree with balloonflower - when you start getting mild days, begin hardening off your plants by moving them out during the day and back in for night. It is the best of all worlds that way.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Anyone here who grows Nepeta?
I want to grow Nepeta but not Nepeta Cataria (catnip)....
cooperdr_gw
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
Starting & Growing Mandrake
Hello! So, I was lucky enough to receive 5 Mandrake,...
stardrifting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™