Can any chartreuse color H. take direct sun?

linnea56(z5 IL)June 6, 2012

I have a bed that gets morning light til about 2 pm, and is shaded by the house after that.

I took a good hard look at 4 Miracle I have planted in that area. Only one actually looks good, as in full and healthy. The other 3 have a lot of faded leaves or brown spots, plus open spaces where leaves are missing. These all looked great this spring. They have been in this location for 3 years. Miracle gets this nice rosy blush when the weather is cool, but it is more the base color of yellow green that I want here.

Purple leaved heuchera in this same bed look just fine (Obsidian, Blackout, and Stormy Seas)

I can't help contrasting it with several Tiramisu, which have similar color, but are planted in a bed that gets much more shade, and look totally full and healthy. I am thinking maybe lime green or chartreuse varieties perhaps can't take this much sun. But I don't know, maybe some can? Before I give up on heuchera for this color niche for this bed, maybe some one can tell me which of this color are most sun tolerant.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jan_on zone 5b

In any listings that I have checked the chartreuse all seem to need at least partial shade and many specify complete shade. My Lime Rickey gets only some early sun but nevertheless produces a few burnt leaves which I pick off. They seem to be wimps!
Jan

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 2:36PM
Hostarina(7B)

Hi, new to me 'Harvest Lemon Chiffon' is vivid chartreuse (apparently gets lemon leaves eventually) and have been growing it in direct Sun for 1/2 the day for 2 months with no ill effects. Just might work for you.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 11:58PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Well, it's fall, and 3 of the 4 Miracle Heuchera have now been dead for a while. The remaining one looks fantastic. Strange. That one is sort of protected around its base with a geranium and a small leaved ivy ground cover. That must make a difference somehow. Maybe the one that lived is the real "Miracle?"

Though these were just the right color and form for this spot, it looks like next year I will have to rethink my choices for replacements.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
trying to find a few heucheras I had
I used to have a ton of heucheras, but the wonderful...
alyciaadamo
Heuchera from seed?
I have purchased some Heuchera seeds. I have a growing...
cakbu
Pics today of some of the Heucheras...
Grabbed some pics today for a topic on a different...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
Trees
When starting seeds directly in the garden, sow them...
spageopriya
Which Heuchera cultivars are working for you?
The green industry is rushing lots of Heuchera to market....
Plant More Natives
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™