Early melons and watermelons

Raymondo(Armidale, NSW)September 28, 2005

Hello,

I'm after suggestions for short season melons and watermelons. I've been through the list at Baker Creek but they don't list maturity for all their varieties, only some.

Many thanks,

Ray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_southerncal(10 So.Cal)

If you're talking heirlooms, my favorite short season watermelon is Sugar Baby, about 75 days. It's about 5 lbs or less. My favorite watermelon is a hybrid, though, and it's Yellow Doll. It's maybe a few days less and the the same size, is yellow flesh and striped exterior. It's sweet and juicy, and finer grained than Sugar Baby.

Some short season muskmelons that I've liked are Minnesota Midget (65 days). My favorite short season OP muskmelon is Haogen, 70 days. It's a softer fleshed melon with a pineapple like aroma but sometimes inconsistent in its taste. When it's great, it's great, though. It's green and gold and no netting. Passport hybrid receives mixed results, but it does very well in my cooler climate. It's a Galia type which is also green fleshed, very sweet and juicy, and about 72-75 days. Another favorite is charentais and all of its relatives (Vedrantias, etc) and while closer to 80 days to maturity, it's worth the wait. Last is my favorite short season, easy to grow hybrid, Butterscotch Sweetie. It's 70 days to maturity, no netting and looks like a teenie Honeydew. It's flesh is green and orange swirled with a slightly butterscotch taste. If you look at some of the other threads about melons, there are others worth looking at but I haven't grown.

Bookmark   September 30, 2005 at 5:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Raymondo(Armidale, NSW)

Thanks Bill. I have seeds for the OP's you mentioned so I'll give them a try. It's more or less time to sow here.

Bookmark   September 30, 2005 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
Can Tomato Plants survive an early Springtime transplanting?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwiS8PE9xes
Randy L. Birth Sr.
Ground cherry
I'm considering ordering a ground cherry from Seed...
bex10023
Wire fence for backyard of 1920 Bungalow
I am looking for wire fencing that was used as backyard...
Jane Hardy - Tennessee
Heirloom petunias
Years ago - during the 1950's - my mother grew petunias....
Chance1945
'Watermellon' radish
Just bought some of these at the farmer's market. Looks...
dvdgzmn
Sponsored Products
Pre-owned John Keal Bleached Mahogany Dresser
Chairish
Authentic Models Nautical Collector's Compass
$105.00 | LuxeDecor
Pre-owned 19th C. Oak Cabinet
Chairish
Sonneman | Champagne Axes-5 LED Pendant Light
YLighting
Dixie Seating Indoor/Outdoor Slat Rocking Chair - Fashion Colors - 67RTASRED/SLA
$129.00 | Hayneedle
52" Period Arts Altus Bronze Maple Ceiling Fan
Euro Style Lighting
Jonti-Craft Berries Plastic Chairs with Chrome Legs - 8140JC1007
$35.02 | Hayneedle
Currey & Company Currey In A Hurry Driftwood Sphere Table Lamp
$520.00 | LuxeDecor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™