Yellow Eggplant

piercewp(6b)September 5, 2004

I planted Black Beauty Eggplants this year.One of the plants is producing yellow fruit.Has anyone heard of a yellow Eggplant?

Thank you

piercewp

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

I planted Black Beauty Eggplants this year.One of the plants is producing yellow fruit.Has anyone heard of a yellow Eggplant?

Yes, I know of one yellow eggplant called Thai Yellow Egg, which , and as the name suggests,it is very small.

So the question becomes what is the size and shape of the fruits on this one plant? Same as Black Beauty should be?

And could it be a white variety? Fruits of the whites often turn a pale yellow as the fruit s age.

If from a commercial source, is it a source where they would have other eggplant varieties such that a stray seed of a white variety could have gotten into the package?

Carolyn

Bookmark   September 5, 2004 at 1:04PM
bill_southerncal(10 So.Cal)

I went on a vacation to NYC a few weeks ago, and some of the eggplant that should have been picked before leaving weren't. When I returned, they were yellow and hard. So, like Carolyn said, if you have yellow Black Beauties, they've aged.

Bookmark   September 7, 2004 at 6:33PM
jweaver28(z7 VA)

glad you asked--same thing happened to me

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 6:18PM
thuringensis

Did your eggplant start white, then have some pale purple, then turn yellow? I planted some organic Ferry Morse Early Long Purple that did. The package said they should turn a deep shiny purple before picking and if they got dull, you waited too long. They never got completely purple. I probably should have picked them sooner but I was waiting for them to get bigger and purple. I also had too many plants in a container and probably shouldn't have expected them to be as large before picking. They were also on an east facing apartment balcony. Maybe they needed different lighting?

Bookmark   October 11, 2008 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Is liriope an heirloom?
Weird question, I know. But a friend is searching for...
dabbler_wmn
Can Tomato Plants survive an early Springtime transplanting?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwiS8PE9xes
Randy L. Birth Sr.
Grocery Store Heirloom Tomatoes
Forgive me, I bought 4 of them. Not having much of...
yardenman
'Watermellon' radish
Just bought some of these at the farmer's market. Looks...
dvdgzmn
help rabbits eating my plants!
I am faced again with rabbits eating my flowers, any...
nailah
Sponsored Products
New Hand Knotted Wool Geometric 3'x5' Lava Persian Heritage SuperKazak Rug H5286
BH Sun Inc
Hand Crafted Morocco Trellis 24-inch Large Square Pouf
Overstock.com
Curvy Dining Chairs Set of 4 in Yellow
$269.00 | LexMod
Delightful Sunset Yellow 23-Inch Square Floor Pillow
$52.99 | Bellacor
Candy Corn Door Swag
Grandin Road
Kite Wall Sconce by Foscarini
$595.00 | Lumens
Soto Chair - Bentley Daisey Yellow