How to transplant Basil seedlings

scragglyannieMarch 26, 2014

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and as a budding newbie to gardening I look forward to using your expertise.

So here's my question, I've got these Basil seedlings, and I think they've stopped growing, so maybe it's time to get them into a bigger pot? How do I go about this? I'm worried i might have planted too many in too small a space, but maybe not.

Anyway any help or advice you can give would be much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chervil2(z5 MA)

Yes, it is time to move your basil seedlings to a large growing space. I have seen basil thrive planted both individually and in groups in pots. You have enough seedlings to try both methods. The tricky part is disturbing the roots as little as possible during the transplanting process. I use kitchen silverware and tweezers to separate the plants. It is okay to hold the seedlings by the leaves. Avoid touching the stems since you can crush or break them very easily. After you have the seedlings in a new pot, water well to remove the air pockets and hydrate the stress roots.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 2:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

I agree--they are ready to be transplanted. I generally do 2-3 seedlings in a 2 1/2" pot. As Chervil2 said, water well to pack the soil, and after a day or two, then they will also majorly benefit from a weak liquid fertilizer--bottom watering is best. Your seedlings are still at the cotyledon stage--they'll be getting their first real leaves soon (probably can see the pair already). At that point, they no longer receive food from the seed, which they've been living off of until now.

Also, basil seedlings do stagnate when not perfectly happy, especially if they're not warm enough. It's not unusual to see very little activity for a period, then a growth spurt. Yours also look like they're a little low on light--the bent stems reaching. You really need strong light right (1-2") above the seedlings to avoid legginess.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Starting & Growing Mandrake
Hello! So, I was lucky enough to receive 5 Mandrake,...
stardrifting
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™