Starting seeds in snow

sconnielillMarch 29, 2009

Several days ago we had a few days of warm weather and forgot how we could still freeze. I suppose I've been watching too many specials on global warming recently.

Anyway, in my foolishness I started a large herb pot (16 qts soil at least) with sweet basil, oregano, thyme, dill, cilantro, and sage. I couldn't leave the pot inside for fear that the cats will use it as an impromptu litter box. The snow came only 3 - 4 days after I planted the seeds. I'm planning on starting some more herb seeds inside anyway to be planted in the ground. I just need to know if some seeds should be reserved to resow the pot. What are the odds that the seeds will still sprout when the snow melts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Some seeds will survive cold winters. Dill here will sprout from last summers plants. Oregano, thyme might also sprout once the weathe gets a bit milder in late May. Basil has never survived for me when it drops its seeds. Cilantro also can survive. You will not get a high germination rate, but you should see some new plants once its milder. Its far too early for most seed starting even for indoors in Z5. Suggest you wait until mid April before starting any seeds.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 5:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyrus_gardner(8)

ksrogers is right.
Except cilantro, all those herbs are warm weather crops.
parsley may also do ok.
In my estimation, in zone 5, they should be sown outdoors
sometime in late April or May. Otherwise nothing will happen and some seeds may die or rot. But you can start them indoors, or in a cold frame box now and put them in the garden sometime around Mothers Day. That is a time gage in CT at least

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 7:11AM
More Discussions
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
Have you heard of "Orange Mint?"
I just saw this variety of mint as a small plant being...
peterk312
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™