an 'alarming' shade of red

hostas_for_barb(6b Ontario)August 14, 2014

Thrilled with my new Fire Alarm Heuchera. The red shade is just amazing. And the leaves are so big. Anyone else have pictures of this one to share?

This post was edited by Hostas_for_Barb on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 13:07

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flower_frenzy(8a)

I like this one as well. I bought it last year, but it didn't make it through the winter. I purchased this new one in the spring. I rarely replace heucheras that don't make it, but I made an exception for this one. The color definitely makes it worth another try.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:29PM
hostas_for_barb(6b Ontario)

Flower: Fire Alarm looks lovely with the colour of those Hosta. I hope you have better success with this one.

Barb

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:19PM
flower_frenzy(8a)

I'm hoping for a better outcome, too! If I lose another one, I won't replace it. I think the first one was in a spot that was too wet. Plus, we had an exceptionally cold winter last year. This new one is planted in a drier area with a wooden fence panel at the back of it for added insulation. Keeping my fingers crossed!

The hostas in the picture are 'Rainforest Sunrise' (front) and 'Paradise Joyce' (side).

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 12:20PM

Love rainforest sunrise - just got it this year - a hoty I think. And I have a lovely PIC of paradise Joyce in a book so I have wanted to add that one too. Good selection!

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 8:00PM
vivian_2010

Barb and FF, Love your Fire Alarms. I have not take any picture this year. Here is one taken end of October last year. The bright color is nice. However this is the only Heuchera (of the 10 varieties I have) that grows really slow. It came out pretty late in the spring too. But I stay with it because of the bright color.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 10:46PM
flower_frenzy(8a)

Nice picture, Vivian. I don't think you're alone in FA growing slowly and/or coming up late for you. Out of all of my heucheras, the reds tend to be the ones that are the hardest to grow. Like you, I keep them around for their outstanding color. Anyone else find reds to be difficult?

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 8:25AM

I just bought Paprika and FA so I guess I will have to comment next year. I'm actually okay with slow growers as long as I know that from the start and can give them space accordingly. I have some Hosta, that although beautiful are beginning to crowd others around them - you are big enough -> stop adding size!!!

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
New heucheras, fall sale!!!
Cant believe I was outside taking pictures this morning,...
sherrygirl zone5
Redstone Falls companions...?
I have a strangely shaped raised bed, about 42 sq ft,...
cajun-qn81
Dormancy?
I read in another post about heuchera going into dormancy...
cakbu
trying to find a few heucheras I had
I used to have a ton of heucheras, but the wonderful...
alyciaadamo
New Heuchera, fall sale, part 2!
Two more of the 4 clearance heuchera I got. This one...
sherrygirl zone5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™