saving clemson spineless okra seeds?

sandy0225(z5 Indiana)September 16, 2005

I had several pods that I let get too big, I've let them dry, and the seeds look good. But I also have rose of sharon bushes and hibiscus plants, will these cross and make some kind of a bad okra hybrid thing for next year? or will I end up with just okra like I planted this year? Because the okra was great this year, and I want the same thing next year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

Hey, for anyone who might be interested, unless you grow the annual hibiscus, the seeds should be ok to save per the hibiscus forum. I'm glad to find out.....

Bookmark   September 22, 2005 at 10:35AM
disgett(8)

The Clemson Spineless seed should be fine. But the pod should have been completely mature before you picked to dry. I have alot of Clemson Spineless as well as cow horn/Texas Longhorn okra seed to trade. Dale Florence SC

Bookmark   November 11, 2005 at 5:43AM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

thank you for the follow up. I waited until the seed pods were brown dry and cracking open in places. Now I have plenty of okra seed to plant next year.
I've never seen it do so well here as this summer. The plants got to be over 9 feet tall, and loaded. I guess because we put a dump truck load of my sister's horse manure on the garden and it was hotter/drier than usual here.

Bookmark   November 11, 2005 at 7:48AM
nelsonturner(9)

I've Clemson spineless okra pods that are large and green and I want to save the seed. I need to pull the plants so I can ready the raised bed to transplant onions starting this Friday. I've opened a pod and removed the seed and left them to dry. I will test sow in about six weeks. Can I cut off the remaining pods and let them dry? I live in the northern part of the San Joaquin valley in California.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 3:35PM
mrdoitall(7)

If your okra gets that tall you need to space it out more. I plant my okra 3 feet apart. They grow with 6 to 8 or more growing tips that way. You will get a lot more okra this way. If you plant it 1 feet or less it will grow real tall. What it doing is growing taller to get the light. 3 feet is the least I space my plants 5 feet is much better. Give it a try. I used to plant it 1 foot apart till this old farmer told me to try 3 to 5 feet. Wow what a difference.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 8:35AM
fusion_power

Okra does best overall if planted in the range of 18 inches to 36 inches between hills. This is variety dependent, some short varieties do better at close spacing while others like Cowhorn do better if further apart. Put 5 to 8 seed per hill and thin to 2 or 3 plants once it is 6 inches or more tall. The reason for planting more seed than needed is so soil crusting won't prevent the seed from emerging and so the final stand of plants will be large enough to do some selecting.

If you want to save seed from plants that do not yet have mature pods, pull the entire plant and store it somewhere cool and dry. The plant will continue to mature the pods for several days which will improve germination of the seed. This only works if the pods are nearly mature to start with.

DarJones

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 11:37AM
reyna1(Zone 8)

If anyone needs Clemson spineless #80 seeds, message me. I have a lot I saved.
Danny

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
Naked seeded pumpkins
I am going to grow Gleisdorfer Naked Seeded Pumpkin...
Trishcuit
black Siam tomato
I am growing a Black Siam Tomato this year and as with...
barbara97801
Is liriope an heirloom?
Weird question, I know. But a friend is searching for...
dabbler_wmn
Civil War Era heirlooms?
Hi all, After reading a couple of Civil War diaries,...
tumblingtomatoes
'Watermellon' radish
Just bought some of these at the farmer's market. Looks...
dvdgzmn
Sponsored Products
DreamLine Mirage 44-48x72-inch Frameless Sliding Shower Door
Overstock.com
Duet Blender/Food Processor Set
$89.99 | zulily
Brushed Nickel 1-Light Wall / Bath
PLFixtures
Cat Feeder System
$35.50 | FRONTGATE
Outdoor Lighting. Cortland 1-Light Mid-Size Post Lantern- with Seeded Glass Sati
$92.47 | Home Depot
Heath Zenith Wall Mounted Shaker Cove Mission 150-Degree Outdoor Black
$44.97 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™