Lavender Turning Brown & Withered?

sammyyummy(11)March 21, 2013

Hi.
My mom gave me some lavender plants.
They were planted in well draining soilless mix, and exposed to lots of sun (and heat).
I water them sparingly and keep the soil from becoming too wet for prolonged periods of time (read that lavender hates getting their root soaked). I water every other day when the soil becomes dry.
I have had them for 3-4 months now but have noticed them to have lost vigor : they're not of a healthy green color but somewhat pale green to almost brown grey, with the stems turning dark brown as well.

Are they a goner?
What am I doing wrong?
Please help. I had no success growing them from seeds for a year hence they were given to me; first time herb gardener here.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Can you share a photo of your plants? Photos help tell a lot of the story and what might be happening.

That said, lavender can often be various shades of grey-green but brown is not a healthy color. It is the color of dead foliage. Potted plants can get baked - literally - in their pots. I see you are zone 11, perhaps the pots are getting too much heat and you are cooking your plants?

FataMorgana

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 2:10PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

While mature lavender plants can tolerate a limited amount of drought conditions, lavender can really take quite a bit of water, as long as you've provided good drainage. Potted plants will always use much more water than plants in the garden. And a small pot will always dry out much more quickly than a large pot.

Potting mixes, when allowed to dry out completely, become water repellent. The solution is to immerse the pot, plant and all, in a bucket or tub of water, leave until the air bubbles cease to rise to the surface, remove. This redydrates the 'soil', enabling the roots to access the moisture once again.

I suggest your plants are dying of thirst. 'Tolerates some drought when mature' does NOT mean 'likes desert conditions'.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 5:53PM
sammyyummy(11)

IVe included pictures for your assessment. Please keep your insights coming.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 8:39AM
sammyyummy(11)

an up close view

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 8:41AM
sammyyummy(11)

an up close view, the one on the far right is the one im worried about.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 8:43AM
More Discussions
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
HELP!!! My mint plant is growing SMALLER!!!
Just over a week ago, I purchased a potted mint plant...
James Lim
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™