Lemon balm or ???

lexie1397March 30, 2012

Hi!

I purchased a house this year that had some pretty well established garden beds. In it, is a plant that smells wonderfully of lemon but I want to be relatively certain of its identity before I start making teas and adding it to my food!

How do I distinguish between lemon balm, lemon mint, and some other lemon-scented plant? Or does it matter?

Leaves are wrinkled, roughly serrated, completely hairless, and opposite. The stem is four-sided, like most of the mint family, and has a few sparse hairs. Even the gentlest touch gives off a scent almost identical to the mosquito citronella candles sold in stores. It is growing in clay soil, full sun with late afternoon shade and persisted through our zone 8 winter (with a little snow/freezing temps). In fact, it snowed last week and is putting out lots of healthy new growth this week!

If someone can instruct me on posting photos, I'd be happy to do so.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noinwi

You could google images of the plants you mentioned above along with lemon-scented geranium and compare to what you have.
To post photos here, open a free account at a hosting site like Photobucket(what I use). Transfer your photos to an album there, then copy the HTML code below each photo and paste it directly into your message. Check the message preview to see your photo in your message before submitting your message. HTH

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 4:14PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Certainly sounds like lemon balm.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 9:32AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I agree, lemon balm.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 11:13PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Ditto.

Here's the info on posting pictures.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 8:31AM
lexie1397

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited to start using it! We pulled out the food dehydrator recently... I think it's time to preserve some of that lemon-y goodness :)

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 12:19PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

You don't really need a dehydrator. Bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It will dry perfectly well lying on the kitchen counter or hanging up, as will most herbs.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 10:35AM
lexie1397

Flora- here in rainy western oregon, i've actually had mold issues when trying to hang dry herbs. they almost always come in wet, and then the natural humidity discourages drying quickly enough.
It might be overkill, but at least I know I'm going to get something out of it if i use the dryer!

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™