Vermont Heuchera Trials

beverlymnz4September 1, 2012

Hi, I have not been keeping up on this forum, so I'm catching up this morning. My sister sent me information from the Vermont Heuchera trials. I find it very interesting, for example, Berry Smoothie, which I have purchased now for the second time (first one didn't make it) was listed under some the the least hardy/died in the field:(

If you already had a discussion on this just ignore this post.

perrysperennials.info/Heuchera0612.pdf

Beverly

"There is alway room for one more Heuchera"

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vivian_2010

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. I am still new to Heuchera and am experimenting with a few since last year. I am disappointed to see Georgia Peach is also listed on the least hardy list. I have 2 and absolutely love them. They have been doing fine but this is only the first season. I also have Obsidian and Canjun Fire, both are 2nd year and doing great. Hope they will be fine as well. One of my criteria is that their colors stay mostly intact during the hot dry summer. So far all 3 are doing fine in this aspect.

Thanks again.
Vivian

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 9:38AM
tepelus z6a SW MI

My Berry Smoothie is doing really well, too. I think it and the others in the bed of which it is growing really like it there. There is no root competition from trees and the soil stays moist for a long time, but not soggy. It and several others struggled in drier soil with root competition from nearby trees. Also my Georgia Peach is doing well. I think it's a matter of location and soil.

Karen

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 10:36AM
valleyrimgirl(2b)

Interesting site/results that they got.

I live in Canada...just 1 hour drive north of the border of North Dakota/Manitoba. Our yard is considered a Canadian zone 2b. Last winter we had about 2 inches of snow cover. This amount is about 5x less than normal.

Just a few comments about some of the ones that they listed in the least hardy section and that I grow here...
Berry Smoothie, Electra and Hollywood...have made it thru 2 winters now. Love them.
Midnight Rose...have 2 plants. Both doing just fine...About 4 or 5 years old now.

I have now about 50 plus varieties of heuchera that have survived one or more years here. Only a few haven't done well here. This year I purchased about 20 new to me varieties and hope that they will do well here also.

Georgia Peach I have only tried once and it didn't make it thru its first winter.

Brenda

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
Rose Hill Gardens
For All You Heuchera Lovers near Hobart WI,,,, Rose...
newhostaaddict
Some new ones today...
I'm still going nuts over heucheras! Here are some...
flower_frenzy
Heucheras and Hostas?
I'm new to Heucheras...just bought several. I read...
cakbu
Trees
When starting seeds directly in the garden, sow them...
spageopriya
Which Heuchera cultivars are working for you?
The green industry is rushing lots of Heuchera to market....
Plant More Natives
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™