Winter care for potted heuchie

esther_bSeptember 17, 2013

I have a beautiful Georgia Peach heuchie in a 12" pot. What should I do for the winter? It is in the westward lee of some juniper bushes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flower-frenzy(8a)

I think your main concerns are adequate drainage and possible heaving due to freezing and thawing. I don't grow my heuchs in pots, but I do grow quite a few hosta in pots.

Make sure your pot has enough holes for good drainage. You may want to drill a few more (if it's a plastic or foam pot), You could also tip the pot on its side if you're worried about it. Tipping the pot on its side will keep your plant from getting soaked if you get heavy rains.

Terra cotta and ceramic pots tend to not be able to handle the winter very well. Many times they'll crack and leave the plant's roost exposed to the freezing temperatures. If your pot is of the breakable type, I would suggest putting it under the eaves of your house or pulling it into the garage if at all possible. If not, you can wrap tree boughs around the pot for added insulation.

I overwinter my hosta pots underneath the covered area of my porch or in an unheated garage. I water very sparingly during the winter time; keeping the soild barely moist. Hostas and heuchs hate to have wet feet...they tend to rot if they do.

Hope I've helped. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 5:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
unbiddenn(5)

I over-winter hosta and sedum in the garage in pots, but havn't had success with heuchera. It's just too cold here. My good friend replants hers back into her garden, along with other pennials that she digs and repots every summer. Thats what I am doing this year, putting my coral bells into the ground.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 2:25AM
More Discussions
Heuchera from seed?
I have purchased some Heuchera seeds. I have a growing...
cakbu
Trees
When starting seeds directly in the garden, sow them...
spageopriya
Heuchera as Indoor Houseplant?
Hello! I am new to this forum and am considering getting...
sapphirelydia
Planter Mix for Heuchera?
I mixed up a batch of planter mix which includes peat...
cakbu
Sun loving heuchera, name anyone?..
I have had several of this heuchera in my yard for...
sherrygirl zone5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™