Mulch used for heucheras

dazlr(z5ontario)September 2, 2013

I had only the common green coral bell in my garden , then I saw my cousins gardens where he has quite a few heuchera's of different colors and forms.
Then I found several places in Ontario Canada that have mail order or pickup of these gorgeous plants. So I went on a road trip to see one of these places. Purchased Cherries Jubilee, Green spice, and Autumn Haze.
And picked up Pewter Moon, Miracle, Palace Purple, Midnight Rose and a Bressingham hybrid somewhere else yesterday. If the rain stops I might get these planed :)
My question is what do others here use for mulch ? What with all the different colors you would not want to have a mulch that takes away from the wonderful colors of these plants.
Thank you
Wendy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flower_frenzy(8a)

I use either dark colored compost or 3-way soil as mulch. The 3-way soil I buy is an equal mixture of sand, compost and sandy loam. (It also works great when dug into the dirt to break up clay soil.) I've also seen nut shells (such as filbert or hazelnut) and pine needles used. I don't use pine needles, though, as my soil is already acidic because of how much it rains here in the PNW. I don't like the look of bark and I especially don't like the slivers, but that's just personal preference.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 8:44PM
dazlr(z5ontario)

Thanks again for your advice. Will be ;putting the 3 way on my list to pick up.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 6:49AM
unbiddenn

Cedar mulch on top of plain newspaper layers and compost. It breaks down fast, about a year for the newsprint, two for the mulch, and suppresses weeds wonderfully.
I am lucky though, and have good soil to begin with.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
Heucheras and Hostas?
I'm new to Heucheras...just bought several. I read...
cakbu
Heuchera in the winter?
This is my first year with heuchera. I have marmalade,...
cakbu
This forum moves slower than a snail on sleeping pills!
Yup, exactly..Doesn't anyone have anything to share...
meyermike_1micha
Why don't my heucheras thrive?
I like them so much, but I'm becoming disillusioned...
sandyslopes z5 n. UT
heuchera died
I went heuchera crazy this season and ended up with...
southerngardening24
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™