self - seeding

vpeterson(4)October 31, 2012

Does anyone know which Heucheras are self seeding? I saw someone with a retaining wall which had little purple heucheras growing out of all the cracks. I think that Purple Palace self seeds but I was wondering if there are any others that would do that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jan_on zone 5b

I've been waiting to see if anyone chimes in here. Your description of the retaining wall is producing a charming picture in my head, but none of my heucheras has ever self seeded (I don't have a lot, but I have several Palace Purples). I suppose a combination of some deadheading and some weeding might be the reason. But I'm not a tidy gardener and my gardens are full of volunteers - just not heuchera seedlings. Hope someone can contribute here...
Jan

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 11:28AM
rbrady(5/Eastern Ia)

I have had a few of my Heucheras self seed, though they are not prolific. They self seed where the mulch is thin or on bare ground. The ones I have had self seed the most are Venus, Palace Purple, Dales Strain and Raspberry Ice.

The others I have would probably self seed if I didn't have my mulch so thick in my garden. I wintersow them every year and always have awesome germination so i know that if the conditions are right they would definitely seed like crazy.

Rhonda

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:24AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I'm glad to hear that Palace Purple is a good germinator. I've received some seeds in trade and I'm looking forward to multiplying them in my gardens.

Martha

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 2:04PM
LoboGothic(6b SW Ontario CANADA)

What do heuchera seeds look like? I've just collected what looks like dried flowers and can find nothing seed-like in there. Do only some varieties set seed?

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 3:23PM
rbrady(5/Eastern Ia)

I crush the pods between my fingers/hands-the seed look like black dust. A magnifying glass is helpful to see them.

I do not know of any heucheras that are sterile and I have quite a few varieties. All of them are good seed producers. Maybe someone else has experience with sterile varieties.

Rhonda.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 10:20PM
beverlymnz4

I have had heuchera self seed, especially Purple Palace. I read somewhere that they don't come true from seed. Purple Palace and Dale's Strain are an exception in that they are similar to the parent. This has been my experience, some seedlings don't have the same coloring or leaf shape, although it is close. That's why nurseries propagate most heuchera from division or some method other than seed. Still, it is fun to see what pops up.

Beverly

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 3:00PM
gee_oh_nyc(6b/7a)

I've had some "bird assisted volunteers" of heuchera "brownies" from a local park where I recognized them. Love them birds.
Lobo, rbrady does what I do and there are lots of seeds in that dust. Petite marbled burgundy gives a lot of seed for me, though when I grow from seed it takes a few years for the characteristics of the plant to fully develop.

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 12:28AM
More Discussions
Redstone Falls companions...?
I have a strangely shaped raised bed, about 42 sq ft,...
cajun-qn81
Heucheras and Hostas?
I'm new to Heucheras...just bought several. I read...
cakbu
Which Heuchera cultivars are working for you?
The green industry is rushing lots of Heuchera to market....
Plant More Natives
Rose Hill Gardens
For All You Heuchera Lovers near Hobart WI,,,, Rose...
newhostaaddict
New Heuchera, fall sale, part 2!
Two more of the 4 clearance heuchera I got. This one...
sherrygirl zone5
Sponsored Products
Custom Kids Corded Pillow
Home Decorators Collection
Sea Gull Lighting 8460-46 Trafalgar Oxidized Bronze Outdoor Sconce
Littman Bros Lighting
Acu-Rite 08510 NOAA All Hazards Alert Weather Radio with S.A.M.E. - 08510OTP
$47.48 | Hayneedle
Confetti Beaded Throw Pillow
$79.00 | FRONTGATE
Glomar Wall Mounted 3-Light Outdoor Dark Plum Bronze Arm up Large Wall Lantern
Home Depot