Huge Rosemary bush-Can it be divided ?

caren-2009March 18, 2009

Hey to all! Can rosemary be divided by roots or is it a single stemmed plant? This one is so big and has got to be moved from it's current location.I was hoping to separate it to have matching sized plants to put on each end of a fence in my back yard..Thanks for any help,CJC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Probably a single root plant. Crawl under the rosemary and look at how many stems are coming up from the soil.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 5:52PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Short answer - no, it can't be divided.

However, you can remove as many branches as you like, and use them as cuttings to propagate. Cutting can be quite large, but 'take' better if they are not from older wood. From one branch, you might get 20 or more cuttings. Heel cuttings are best.

As a general rule, when pruning any plant, it's best not to remove more than one-third of total growth. But rosemary is quite a determined plant and tolerates pruning better than most - it's an excellent topiary plant - so even with drastic cut-back, it is likely to grow back again.

People forget just how BIG rosemary can get!

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 6:11PM
CA Kate

I agree that the answer is NO to dividing. I find that the easiest way to get more plants is to gently bend branches to the ground (if not already there) and pin them down; within a month or two the part that's pinned will have rooted, then this can be cut off the parent and transplanted.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
Starting & Growing Mandrake
Hello! So, I was lucky enough to receive 5 Mandrake,...
stardrifting
banana and lime mints
I would love to hear from anyone growing these and...
shane11
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™