Stumbled onto this curious site

canadiantomato(z5 Ontario)October 3, 2004

while trying to locate sources for OP/heritage grains other than SSE.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadiantomato(z5 Ontario)

I forgot to add that I am hoping someone here will be able to help me with that search. (Plus I thought that I was still on the tomato forum :>)

Thanks,
Jennifer

Bookmark   October 3, 2004 at 12:49PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Since Jennifer posted this in the tomato forum as well, and I assumed she was posting about tomato seed I answered as follows, but noting here she was after OP grains:

Jennifer,
As I looked at the format, blurbs and prices in that tomato list at Jim's it looked awfully familiar to me.

So I went to Rachel's, which has been online forever, and sure enough they are one and the same.

I guess this couple are called Jim and Rachel and both with their own websites, which are vitually identical. They ar e resellers of seeds purchased elsewhere, as you can see by all the hybrids offered.

Carolyn, who notes they list my book at the bottom of each website tomato list and still don't get the name for Eva Purple Ball correct. LOL They use the wrong one that Linda at TGS used until I called her attention to it. (smile)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachel's = Jim's

Carolyn, who will now think about sources for OP grains. Anything specific you have in mind Jennifer?

Bookmark   October 3, 2004 at 1:38PM

The gifter of my land grows spelt, buckwheat, wheat, oats and barley. We're both interested in trying some heritage OP varieties of those grains as well as corn. To Glenn for corn most likely, but the bread basket is drier for the rest. Jim Ternier (in Sask.) has limited supplies of quite a bit, including some rare black and blue wheats, but most of it is not catalogued or otherwise available at present.

Ta for any help!
Jennifer

Bookmark   October 3, 2004 at 1:50PM
enyardreems(Z7 NC)

Jennifer,
Have you looked at Seeds of Change?

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds of Change

Bookmark   October 6, 2004 at 8:42AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

The gifter of my land grows spelt, buckwheat, wheat, oats and barley. We're both interested in trying some heritage OP varieties of those grains

jennifer,

Have you gotten your SSE Yearbook yet?

When you do you'll see at least 15 different spelts, black, blue, red and amber wheats and all else that you asked about.

With the huge variety offered there I don 't know why you'd want to go elsewhere.

However, available just in starter amounts, not bulk, as you know. I suppose if you read thru the blurbs some folks write next to their name at the front of the book you may find some who are willing to send bulk amounts.

Carolyn

Bookmark   October 6, 2004 at 9:19AM

Thanks for Seeds of Change link. I was familiar with their offerings, but it's nice to be reminded.

Carolyn,

Thanks for the info. However, finding a source for seed has become secondary at right now.

This attempt to 'gift' my benefactor has morphed into something beyond my wildest imagination. I'm now looking at establishing a seeds trust in conjunction with a national farmers' organization in an attempt to stave off a similar situation to that in the UK and EU re petigreeing crops. Am becoming a policital activist in agriculture--a new one even for me!

It's messy here and going to get worse if we don't stop the current industry-driven Seed Sector Review from forcing all--including heritage/heirloom/government-bred with public money--named varieties to be fully locked into the expensive petigree system in order to be sold commercially. Cereal/forage crops and potatoes for now, but vegetables and fruits are being eyed. And get this--national seed associations (you know, the ones contracted out by our government to do the 'quality assurance' inspections and certifications) have declared publicly that farmers have not and never have had the right to save their own seed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very cursary overview and the tip of the iceberg...I can only see finding out about the review before finalization as a sign that seeds trust development was meant to be and may have a chance to help farming families stay economically alive and on the farm (fingers, toes and eyes crossed!).

Jennifer, on a very major rant and racking up phone charges to Ottawa

Bookmark   October 6, 2004 at 12:20PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Scary. This is an area in which the U.S. lags behind Canada a bit. But there are plenty of folks here who are in favor of government running wild. These sorts of movements get started quietly and build a lot of momentum before many of us realize what's happening.

This topic is deserving of its own forum, or at least a thread.

Jim

Bookmark   October 7, 2004 at 1:44PM
winnjoe(MTL)

Jennifer, have you posted more details of this on the Gardening in Canada site? I would appreciate more info.
Joe, Winnipeg

Bookmark   October 8, 2004 at 10:56AM
grungy(5b/6a BC)

Hi Jennifer could you please send me some more information on the the current industry-driven Seed Sector Review from forcing all--including heritage/heirloom/government-bred with public money--named varieties to be fully locked into the expensive petigree system in order to be sold commercially. Cereal/forage crops and potatoes for now, but vegetables and fruits are being eyed. And get this--national seed associations (you know, the ones contracted out by our government to do the 'quality assurance' inspections and certifications) have declared publicly that farmers have not and never have had the right to save their own seed?
Thanks, Val

Bookmark   October 28, 2004 at 12:31AM
More Discussions
Looking for my old sunflowers
When I moved to Roanoke, Virginia from the coast I...
foxhillfiddler
rutgers vs stupice
I live near Chicago. For our 2015 garden I have devoted...
braidwood13
Rotten spots on my heirloom tomatoes
My Cherokee purple and my Arkansas Traveler's tomatoes...
zackey
Civil War Era heirlooms?
Hi all, After reading a couple of Civil War diaries,...
tumblingtomatoes
cord seed
I am looking for an old corn seed called Thompson's...
georgigirl_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™