How tough are Heuchera seedlings?

docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)October 21, 2012

I wintersowed some heuchera seeds that I got in trade. I got a ton of seedlings and planted them out in a shady area and watered them pretty faithfully through this horrible, hot, dry summer. Now they are buried in oak leaves and pine needles. They never got very big, and they blend in with the twigs and ground cover in my woodland bed, so I may have lost many of them. Anyway, do any of you have experience growing them from seed? Do they need to be babied in pots for a few years, or will they grow on their own? I'm hoping they are like hostas and will just grow in place. Am I expecting too much? Thanks in advance.

Martha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharoncl(z5 WI)

I've always just planted my heuchera seedlings out as soon as they get their true leaves. (I'm terrible about remembering to water pots so frankly, they're better off in the ground...) After the first year, I generally don't give them extra water unless we get a stretch of really hot and dry weather. If they're still really small, I'd probably remove some of the leaves (in spring) so they can get some light.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 9:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Thanks, Sharon.

Martha

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 7:00PM
More Discussions
trying to find a few heucheras I had
I used to have a ton of heucheras, but the wonderful...
alyciaadamo
Pics today of some of the Heucheras...
Grabbed some pics today for a topic on a different...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
Magnum
Got 4 Magnum heuchera today for $12. They are great...
sherrygirl zone5
Heucheras and Hostas?
I'm new to Heucheras...just bought several. I read...
cakbu
New heucheras, fall sale!!!
Cant believe I was outside taking pictures this morning,...
sherrygirl zone5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™