Brass Lantern advice

linnea56(z5 IL)October 17, 2012

Brass Lantern advice

I bought one this spring but have yet to plant it.

Before I could plant it, some critter dug it out of the pot and tossed it around. I was out of town and didn't see it right away. It was thoroughly wilted. Though it had been in a gallon pot, the rootball was more suited in size to a quart. But perhaps some roots were lost in the process. I replanted it in the pot and have been babying it along to have it recover before planting. That was about a month ago. The tag was lost in the tossing about, and I wanted to get more info on it first. It has perked up, though some leaves have remained wilted.

Question 1: Considering it is mid October, am I better off sinking it pot and all into my vegetable garden, and covering it with leaves? Rather than stressing it out further by planting now?

The place I want to put it gets morning sun from about 9 am til 1 pm. But it's surrounded by concrete patio so it can be pretty intense. Obsidian and Stormy Seas did just fine in that bed. Miracle fried and pooped out.

Question 2: is this a good siting for Brass Lantern? Can it handle that much sun?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tepelus z6a SW MI

I think Brass Lantern would do fine in that bed. Mine gets sun during the early to mid-late afternoon, during the hottest time of the day, and it's next to a concrete patio, and it's doing fine as long as I water it deeply every few days. The soil there tends to dry out pretty quickly. As for burying it pot and all, I think it would be a good idea. It is too late in the year to plant heuchera. They don't have the greatest root system to begin with and are prone to heaving if they aren't established.

Karen

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 8:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linnea56(z5 IL)

Thanks, Karen. I was thinking it was too late to plant. It looks like I dithered too long. If it survives the winter planted out in the vegetable bed, at least I know where to put it next spring.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 12:14AM
More Discussions
Heuchera I.D. Please
Can someone tell me the name of the heuchera in the...
cakbu
Planter Mix for Heuchera?
I mixed up a batch of planter mix which includes peat...
cakbu
Trees
When starting seeds directly in the garden, sow them...
spageopriya
Dormancy?
I read in another post about heuchera going into dormancy...
cakbu
Pics today of some of the Heucheras...
Grabbed some pics today for a topic on a different...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™