wrong pronunciation

churchofbotanyOctober 30, 2013

Heucheras are named after German botanist and his name as we all know is Johan Heucher. In german without any exceptions diphthong "eu" is always pronounced "oy", like in Europa"-"oyropa" or "eule"- oyle". Why,oh, why somebody insists of making us sound stupid and propagates pronunciation "Hyookera"! In what language "ch" is pronounced "k"? Swahili?
If we should agree that the guy's name is "Hoycher" by the right pronunciation than it is "hoychera" as the only way to call it,.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flower_frenzy(8a)

Interesting post. Actually, I never knew where heuchera got the name. After seeing this post I looked it up. Sure enough, heuchera got the name from the botanist Johan Heinrich Von Heucher.

I don't know why every bit of info on "correct pronunciation" points us toward saying it "hew-kera". Unfortunately, if I pronounced it "hoychera", no one at the nurseries would know what I was referring to. Lol

I found an interesting article on Latin names of a bunch of different plants, including heuchera. I've included a link in case anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant names in Latin

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 2:34PM
organizedsarah

My local nursery seems to hire uninformed folk for their sales floor and keep the educated ones back in the staff-only area never to be seen by customers, so on the rare occasion I have shopped there (they have a huge selection of Heuchera), I have to ask for Coral Bells. (I mostly take the 45 minute drive three towns over to their wonderful nursery with a well-versed staff because, after all, these plants are going to be part of my family for a LOT of years and I want to start with the best, grown by folk who know what they're doing and perhaps even know how to pronounce plant names!)

Bookmark   last Friday at 11:10AM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

And "ch" is pronounced "k" in Italian--as in Pinocchio.

Bookmark   on Sunday at 3:05AM
More Discussions
Sun loving heuchera, name anyone?..
I have had several of this heuchera in my yard for...
sherrygirl zone5
Heuchera as Indoor Houseplant?
Hello! I am new to this forum and am considering getting...
sapphirelydia
Rose Hill Gardens
For All You Heuchera Lovers near Hobart WI,,,, Rose...
newhostaaddict
This Heuchera is a blooming machine in my mt. garden.
Heuchera 'Canyon Duet' Sorry, don't know how to turn...
zoohortmmm
Which Heuchera cultivars are working for you?
The green industry is rushing lots of Heuchera to market....
Plant More Natives
Sponsored Products
Char-Broil Premium 340 Urban Grill Cover - 6488055
$34.99 | Hayneedle
Spa Blue Dream Castle Six-Piece Sheet Set
$49.99 | zulily
Lime Green Ego Bar Stool - Chrome Base
Zuri Furniture
Florence Style Loft Wool Loveseat in Chocolate Brown
$699.00 | LexMod
Abstract Hats & Pants Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo