When to harvest basil, cilantro, parsley, oregano?

justmeinflorida(Zone 9a)March 6, 2012

Sorry I'm new at this...I have some basil, parsley, oregano & cilantro and I'm wondering when is the right time to start harvesting them? I've read that you should snip them after the dew is gone but before it gets to hot. Is there a certain height I should be waiting for?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

They say harvesting herbs is best done in the early morning hours. Basil and Cilantro may be pruned as needed. As for Oregano it will become very large if given the room it would like. The right time is when the plants get large enough that they are worth harvesting so of us get in a hurry others seem to let them go to seed before harvesting. The Oregano should be fine once it gets large enough for harvest. During the summer it gets quite tall and harvesting will help keep it from being too leggy but if you leave the ones near the edge it will spread but in the middle you will keep from having to do some pruning to clear out those dead runners that die off in the cold weather. In less than 3 years mine has gone from a 3 inch pot to over 4 feet by 4 feet without any help from me. I find I either need to prune it more or find homes for all the extra to friends and family.
Paul

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
Have you heard of "Orange Mint?"
I just saw this variety of mint as a small plant being...
peterk312
Why is my basil wilted?
My roommate picked up this basil from the grocery store....
endi92
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™