Where to purchase rue

bohemianchelleMarch 12, 2007

I am interested in purchasing rue, preferably plants, but seed if need be. I found a site last year for a nursery here in Indiana that was selling it, but can't locate the site again.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

Companion Plants has both the plant and seed on the web site. I haven't ordered from them before but Garden Watchdog says they are highly rated so they're probably fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion Plants

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 7:10AM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

You can always order rue and other herbs from Richters.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 6:03PM
bohemianchelle

Thanks for the responses! I am thinking about using rue as a feral cat deterrent; now I need to scope out some good full sun areas for it. FWIW, since Richter's is in Canada, U.S. law prohibits them from selling this plant in the United States, due its purported medicinal properties.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 11:06PM
herbalbetty

I believe Richter's won't ship rue plants to the U.S. due to it being considered an obnoxious weed or possibly causing skin sensitivity in cattle, not it being a medicinal plant. You might also check Horizon Herbs for plants.

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 4:52PM
oldroser(z5)

It can cause skin problems in humans too - many experience a reaction akin to poison ivy, especially if the exposure occurs in full sunlight. A good idea to handle rue with gloves.

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 7:19PM
jlynn(8 sc)

I have rue seeds, lots of them, and will be starting them soon. I had a very hard time finding the seeds so if you'd be interested I could send you some. lmk.
Blessed Be,
J'Lynn

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 9:41PM
treefarmer(z5IN)

There is a place in Avon, IN that sells rue. It may be a far drive for you though. They are seasonal, not open yet but last year they had a very nice selection of herbs. Mine did survive over winter so I may have some later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Farm Market

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 12:18PM
paulraj

v have rue sent me the quantity you want

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 1:43AM
chervil2(z5 MA)

I used to grow rue and did not find that the foliage bothered me. One of my plants was over 10 years old. I never wore gloves when handling the leaves, flowers, and roots. I am interested in growing more plants to deter vectors of tick borne diseases such as lyme which I have had twice. I am hoping to purchase rue plants in the spring from Hartman's Herb Farm in Barre, MA.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:31AM
linda_tx8(8)

I used to purchase rue from nurseries, but found that they would usually die within a year or so. Then a friend gave me a few rue plants and those did very well! I've had them ever since...if one does eventually die years later, there is always a seeded volunteer or two around.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
When can you plant Cilantro seeds in your Garden?
I'm in Zone 5, I know Cilantro can tolerate some cool...
jd101
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Have you heard of "Orange Mint?"
I just saw this variety of mint as a small plant being...
peterk312
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™