Red Pontiac Potatoes

chartim(7A)March 27, 2011

Can Red Pontiac Potatoes be canned? All I've seen are recipes for white or irish.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yes they can. The name aside, they are a white potato. Yukon Golds can also be canned. Actually any potato can be canned using the same directions. You just get different end results in texture.

Dave

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 10:24AM
denninmi(8a)

Pontiac has always been my main crop potato. Large size, great for all uses overall (although not the best for fries, they are a little moist and don't brown as well as a russet). And, of course, I live a few miles from the city of Pontiac, Michigan, which I hope is the variety's namesake. They were a sport of the original Pontiac variety, which was bred here in Michigan. "Chief Pontiac" is a widely mentioned person in folklore here in the immediate area, and local legend, which no doubt is WILDLY inaccurate considering that he was killed in Illinois after his retreat from the British forces here in Michigan in the 1760's, claims that his unmarked grave lies on Apple Island in the middle of Orchard Lake, about 2 miles from my house. Probably not, but its a fun little story.

I'm sorry, as I realize NONE of this has anything to do with the original post, but it is just a fun little bit of trivia to share (hopefully the reader will feel the same way).

Here is a link that might be useful: Origin of the Pontiac potato.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 3:28PM
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

Yes, as long as you peel them, just like any other potato, then pressure can.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 3:54PM
chartim(7A)

Thanks everyone for the replys and yes I did enjoy the trivia

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 4:05PM
jill2761(Southeast Texas)

I think the red potatoes I canned last summer were among my favorites. It was a wonderful surprise to find them such a "convenience" food. They had a good texture and went well in soups, stews, mashed, etc. It was my first year canning, and I was very happy with them. Only problem was we didn't grow (or can) enough to last all year. We planted more for this season.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 9:31AM
annie1992

I agree, the Red Pontiacs can nicely, keep their shape and texture well. they are also easy to grow, hardy and prolific, love 'em.

Of course, like denninmi, I'm from Michigan and the Red Pontiacs like our climate.

annie

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 3:37PM
chartim(7A)

Thanks you for the replys. I put 10 Lbs. RP seed pototoes in ground and going to put 10 more in the Straw Potato method today, havn't tried this before. Friends who have say it works great for them.

Thanks again
Tim

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
tomato sauce problem
This may be a a little long so please bear with me....
jessam
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Does anyone use a pH meter in home canning?
My question is about the Wisconsin extension document...
randaloulton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™