New to Herb growing

amyziMarch 12, 2010

Hi! As stated, I'm new to growing herbs and have been wondering if they are naturally slower to germinate and grow than most. I planted caraway, basil, tarragon, rosemary, and chives all at the same time about three weeks ago, and my chives haven't even come up yet. The rosemary and caraway have only come up in the last few days. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

With 20,000 known herbs on the planet, you cannot expect them all to behave in the same ways, or to have the same requirements.

Basically, you'll just have to do some homework to learn about the herbs you want to grow! But you'll find the following helpful (hopefully!):

Caraway: In regions with short summers, sow seeds outside as soon as the soil can be worked. In warm climates, sow them outside in late summer or autumn for bloom the next season. Sow only fairly fresh seeds for best results. Seeds are slow to germinate (21 days or more) and should be sown direct because seedlings do not transplant well.

Basil: Seeds usually germinate in 7-10 days but can take several weeks. Ideal temperature for germination is 13-16°C. Seeds need light to germinate and should be just barely covered.

Tarragon: French Tarragon is not usually propagated by seeds, as most are sterile. If you've got seeds, I'm prepared to wager that you have Russian Tarragon - an almost tasteless weed. Do a search in this forum for some further reading on the matter!

Rosemary: Seed is slow to germinate and not always true to the cultivar. Seed should be fresh. Ideal sowing temperature is 20°C. Seeds need light to germinate and should be lightly covered.

Chives: Seed can be sown, 5mm deep, in late spring if planting directly outside and take 7-14 days to germinate and 75-90 days to be ready for harvest. Ideal temperature for germination is 20°C, and germination occurs in less than 2 weeks.

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 5:53PM
More Discussions
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Why is my basil wilted?
My roommate picked up this basil from the grocery store....
endi92
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™