Eating Broccoli Leaves

misskimmie(z4b Central NY)March 4, 2011

Last autumn, my neighbors mother came over for a visit. As is my habit, I grabbed a paper bag and a knife so she could go 'shopping' in my garden. She declined my offers of swiss chard and kale and asked instead for some leaves from broccoli. She said she used to cook them with potatoes. (She is Italian) .

Does anyone have a recipe for this - or any other way to serve broccoli leaves?

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog- Little Homestead in the Village

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cabrita(9b SoCal)

Broccoli leave, cauliflower leave, Brussels sprout leaves, all are edible and they can be prepared like kale, collards, or the outer leaves of cabbage. I am specially fond of Brussels sprouts leaves. After two seasons of 'no sprouts' we just ate the leaves and found them so tasty we grow them now just for the leaves. This year I am growing broccoli raab, and I also really like their leaves. I will be picking the leaves of a purple broccoli that sprouted pretty soon too.

Examples of suitable dishes: kale potato soup (but use whatever leaves you have), colcanon, green empanadas (individual snack size turn over savory pies). Your imagination is the limit.

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 3:15PM
cabrita(9b SoCal)

...I forgot to mention: greens frittata!

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 3:41PM
denninmi(8a)

Yup, I frequently use the younger, smaller, more tender leaves that grow just under the crown.

There is a specific strain from Italy grown just for the leaves -- Broccoli Sprigarello.

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 6:58PM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

I use the large broccoli leaves for "cabbage rolls"...I guess they're actually broccoli rolls.

I've found that if I cut them one evening and just leave them on the counter overnight, they're perfectly wilted enough to roll easily around your filling. I remove the stiff center stem (just the very thick part) and begin rolling from the base of the leaf kind of overlapping the split part from removing the stem. Delicious!
Far easier to obtain than the outer leaves of cabbage which always seem to tear for me.

The leaves of any brassicas are also good diced and tossed into soups.

Deanna

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 12:02AM
misskimmie(z4b Central NY)

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm winter-sowing lots of broccoli, kale, and some cabbage and brussels spouts. I assume that I can freeze the leaves (after blanching of course)? I sure wish I had some soup greens right now. - kim

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog- Little Homestead in the Village

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 12:42PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

One of our local urban farmers makes stuffed broccoli leaves. I make a vegetarian version of these. They are probably the best greens for stuffing, and have a slightly different taste than most. This helps round out our spring meals because we eat 99% greens and carrots during the winter and spring and I am always looking for some new way to serve them. We eat salad and soup every single day during the winter and spring, variety is nice!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Funny Farm: Stuffed Broccoli Leaves

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 1:12PM
KarenJuten

I eat the leaves of broccoli,cauliflower, collards, and brussel sprouts. They are all in the cabbage family and edible. Not only edible but fight cancer. Very healthy! I saute onions and garlic in a little olive oil. Add sausage chopped fine. Brown the sausage. Add chopped leaves and cook for about 10 to 20 minutes. Serve with BBQ sauce. Yummm! P.S. Add tumeric for additional health benefit and yummy taste.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 1:24PM
mellyofthesouth(9a FL)

I had a bunch that I used instead of spinach in lasagna. I blanched them then chopped them in the food processor. Very tasty. Actually my broccoli loving daughter liked it better than spinach.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 10:08AM
macky77(2a)

Just had one of those why-didn't-I-think-of-that moments. Thanks so much for posting this!

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 9:52PM
fruitmaven.WIz5(5)

This spring's weird weather caused my broccoli to head up in May. I was so disappointed with the tiny heads, but at least I can enjoy the leaves! They are delicious, and remind me very strongly of flat kale. I sadded them to my tir-fry instead of cabbage for supper tonight.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 8:55PM
Campruby

We tried this tonight. Delicious!!! I am a cooked greens hater, but loved the broccoli leaves because of the firm texture...they didn't cook down to mush. Found a recipe online and sliced the leaves thin, stir-fried with oil, garlic and red pepper flakes....fantastic! Our warm winters makes it hard for broccoli to head, but I think we will grow them specifically for the leaves from now on.

This post was edited by Campruby on Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 19:56

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™