cilantro lifespan

cloverhouseMarch 8, 2010

I have a cilantro question I hope someone can help with: I was just out looking around in my garden and it looks like my cilantro plants from last summer are still alive and growing. They've been under snowcover for months, but we've had a thaw in the last few days that's uncovered them. I know this happens with parsley, but is cilantro a biennial?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Coriander (cilantro) is an annual, and a very short-lived one at that. In a warm or hot climate, its entire life-span can be as short as two weeks - which is why successive plantings are advised for a constant supply of leaves before it bolts.

I suggest the plants you see have germinated from dropped seeds from last year's plants. Such short-lived plants grow at a rate of knots!

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 6:10PM
cyrus_gardner(8)

Cilantros in my zone can overwinter like parsley, IFF they had benn planted in the fall not in the spring.
The spring planted ones will bolt, f.l.o.w.e.r and grow seeds.
Maybe in zone 6,where you are, they never bolt. They like real COOL weather, just like parsley.

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 8:38PM
tracydr(9b)

Mine are still alive from last fall. If it's cool enough they will live. They bolt when it gets warm.

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 1:09PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

They are fun to see in the winter since they stay green under the snow unlike so many other things.

What I usually see is that late-planted/self-sown cilantro will survive the winter to die without bolting when the weather warms in the Spring. But whether they bolt or not, I would not expect much from them come spring. Expect to plant new cilantro.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 2:18PM
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

Cloverhouse, I have the same thing in my garden. Though the cilantro is matted down from the weight of 3 ft of snow for over a month. I really don't expect anything to come from them, but it will be interesting to watch.

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
zenovia_p
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™